Mackenzie Littledale interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Mackenzie Littledale is a pen name derived from ancestral names. It's my way of giving voice to my voiceless women ancestors. During the day, I help people relieve muscle pain and tension through massage at a luxury spa. On my days off, I'm either helping writers with editing and spit shining their manuscripts to delight readers; reading for pleasure; looking for a contest or prompt to spark that creative juice to flow; interviewing amazing mental health advocates for my blog on Psychology Today's website; or SLEEPING.


When did your love of books begin?

Way back in elementary school. Before my mom learned to drive, she'd call for a taxi to take us to the library every week. The librarian knew us by name, and I'd pour myself into stories. The first series I fell for was Paddington Bear.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote for my own personal enjoyment for as long as I can remember. The desire to write for an audience started in 2017 when I simply couldn't believe the twists and turns and miracles that had occurred throughout my life. I begged God for time to write, and in September of that year, a hurricane passed through Miami, leaving the hotel I worked at without much work to go around. I suddenly had the entire month off. It wasn't exactly the way I'd answer a prayer, but I took the time and ran with it.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

As a beginning author, every step feels like foreign territory and it's overwhelming. It's important for me to pace myself and remind myself that I can pause to learn and research as much of the process as I need to keep going with confidence. Knowledge truly is power, and since there are no guarantees in life, the best we can hope for is to tilt the odds in our favor by vetting our sources and asking intelligent questions. Mistakes are part of life, so my biggest hope is that I won't make any mistakes that cost me everything. I want to learn as I go, maximize the gains and limit the losses.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write. Learn. Research. Network with fellow writers who are at a similar stage as yourself, as well as writers further along who are willing to share their knowledge to build you up and support you. Face your fears head on and visualize being on stage, signing books, reading passages to audiences, signing profitable contracts, and depositing royalty checks. Feed that passion. Impostor syndrome is a real problem, so try to remember that writing is what writers do. Thinking, daydreaming, traveling, observing, resting, eavesdropping, reading, and practicing are also valid parts of the process. If you're doing those things, you are a writer, so you're not faking it. Every step forward in the direction of your choosing counts and each step is a win. Celebrate yourself and your progress. Don't wait until you cross some magic finish line or you'll burn out.


Tell us about your book/books:

This Darkness is Mine is currently back with my agent at Serendipity Literary. The word count is too high for a debut women's fiction novel, so I expect to chop some more here and there. The novel is a semi-fictionalized account of a 12-year span of my life. Michelle lives a cozy life in Harlem with a career on the upswing, when her father dies. Unwilling to let herself grieve, she trips a genetic marker and develops bipolar. The story follows her as she resists the diagnosis, until it threatens her relationship with her family, her new career, and the romantic interest she's always dreamed of.
The other works are short stories and flash fiction, mainly written during the pandemic lockdown to keep myself sane because my attention span was shot to shit.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community on Twitter is robust and a fairly safe microcosm of the world. I've forged and nurtured some of the closest friendships of my life in the writing community. The reading community is elusive, like a shy lover. If I knew how to win them over, I'd have a straight shot to the NY Times Bestseller list.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

30-somethings who either have or know someone who has a mental illness like bipolar can feel isolated, terrified, confused, and overwhelmed. It's through story that we meet ourselves in other people and discover we're not alone, not unseen, not unheard, and not unsupported. That anxiety is real and needs to be acknowledged. That depression is real. That desire for a little escape into another's mind, thoughts, and imagination needs indulging. Try reading short stories to get a feel for an author's style before committing to a full length novel. I see you and I believe we can find a common bond somewhere in the words.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter - @mackenzielitt13
Facebook - @mackenzielittledalewriter
My blog of interviews with mental health advocates on Psychology Today -  https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/margin-mainstream


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview