Danielle McCrory interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Danielle McCrory is a writer from Tucson, Arizona. Danielle writes horror and suspense novels because she believes there are still so many scary stories left untold. She loves horror movies, animals, rainy days, and Halloween. 


When did your love of books begin?

My love of reading came from my father, who was an avid reader and lover of books. He taught me how to read with Goosebumps books, and we took turns reading the chapters aloud. I remember hating my chapters because it took me so much longer to read them than my father did, and I wanted to find out what was going to happen next in the story! Once I perfected my reading skills, I went on to read Fear Street novels, and eventually made my way to Stephen King, who is my favorite author.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

While I often entertained the idea of becoming a writer, I didn’t give the dream much serious thought until my father passed away from cancer. I was still fairly young at the time and was having trouble dealing with my grief, so I turned to writing as a way to cope. What I thought would end up being a short story, if that, developed into a full-length novel about a young girl who also lost her father. This isn’t the main subject of the story, which is much more about horror than grief, but I was still able to get out some of my feelings about loss. Two years later, I’ve completed my second novel, and I am well into writing my third.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has definitely been a major learning experience. At first, I thought the hardest part would be getting all the thoughts and ideas out of my head and into one concrete, coherent story. It didn’t take me long to realize that was the easy part. I have come to learn that the editing process following that first draft can push anyone close to the brink of insanityand we’re not just talking about hyphens and commas, but also having to cut out parts of the novel that you really enjoy because they just don’t contribute to the story you are trying to tell. Luckily, my husband has been an asset in the editing process, so I am very thankful for that. Another challenge is the marketing side of things, which can be a full-time job in and of itself. I am still very much in the learning process when it comes to marketing, and am thankful for the writing community, which has taught me a lot so far.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say do it. Follow your dreams. Take the plunge. Don’t let doubts and insecurities stop you. I have had many of those throughout the daunting and oftentimes overwhelming journey into becoming an author, and let me tell you, those times of doubt are completely overpowered by your times of triumphlike when you finish a particularly emotional scene and get it just right, or when you get that raving five star review, orbest of allfinish that book and get to sign your name on the front page for the first time. Just remind yourself that, just like your book, your journey to become an author is a work in progress, and it’s a journey worth taking.


Tell us about your book/books:

Wasp Canyon is my debut novel. It is set in Tucson, Arizona, which is my hometown. Tucson is known for its hiking trails, and one day I started wondering what would happen if you encountered something horrible while out on one of those trails. Do you go toward it, if that’s the only way out, or do you run away, deeper into the wilderness? What started as a simple, if not horrifying, premise for a story manifested itself into a novel that was so much more than I ever expected it to be. Wasp Canyon follows a grieving girl as she makes a horrific discovery while out on a run, and she then finds herself battling demons much darker—and much more dangerous—than her grief alone. My upcoming novel, Foster, is a suspenseful tale about love, horror, and foster pets, and is scheduled for release later this summer, 2022.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love how kind and supportive everyone is in the community. People aren’t competing with one another, but trying to help each other succeed. It is wonderful getting to come to a place where you can share in your successes, commiserate in your hardships, and cheer on your fellow writers. I am grateful to be part of this community.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would say that I appreciate each and every one of you. I’d like to thank every reader who was willing to give my book a try, and I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. And, if you did enjoy it, please leave a review. Every review is greatly appreciated and makes such a difference to the author. Thank you!


Where can people connect with you?

The easiest way to contact me would be through my website, www.daniellemccrory.com, but I am also available through Twitter (@Dani_McCrory), Facebook (@daniellemccrory.author), and Instagram (@daniellemccrory_author).


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasp Canyon


    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CCF21K8/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_RPNACYPHDQDF48RRAAZQ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown