Shannon Avra interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m an anthropologist, a writer, and a college instructor. I fell in love with various beliefs about dragons and monsters, friendship and loyalty, and the power of a name. For 22 years, I have taught Medical Anthropology, Women in Changing Society, Cultural Anthropology, and Research Methods. I live in Arkansas with my husband and daughter. They are the loves of my life. I am grateful for each moment with them.  


When did your love of books begin?

I grew up in a family that celebrated diversity, kindness, and learning. My dad had degrees in anthropology, philosophy, and finance. He had a brilliant imagination that sparked my love for stories and adventure. My mom studied psychology and coding. She helped shape my understanding of compassion and healing. They never kept a book from me. I was never “too young” to read anything that interested me. That freedom in reading allowed me to explore and appreciate a world outside of my own. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

At the end of fourth grade, I won a story contest. My teacher gave me a ribbon, a medal, and a certificate. But the best reward was the way my class sat and listened and smiled as I read my story. I was shy, so reading to my classmates made me nervous. I had so much fun writing and their response allowed me to communicate successfully.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Interesting! Those old shy feelings came right back when I joined the online writing community. But much like my fourth grade class, everyone was so nice and welcoming! I studied how to write a query and synopsis. I asked questions. I joined a critique group. Eventually, I was fortunate to work with an awesome mentor (thank you, Kate!) on my MG fantasy novel. I would love to publish that story at some point. While working on middle grade, I also worked on picture books. MOLLY AND NIGHTMARE comes from my own childhood, my own grief, and my own hopes. When POW! expressed interest, I was so excited and grateful. My editor, Michael, has been kind, supportive, and a delight to work with on this project. His vision for the book has been exceptional. Our illustrator, David, brought life and magic to the story.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Believe in yourself and don’t give up.  Many of us are struggling with feelings of uncertainty and sadness. Some are so focused on a goal that they are missing their unique journey. You are accomplishing something with every story you create. Let each step soften the harsh lines you draw for yourself. Find meaning in the adventure. 


Tell us about your book/books:

MOLLY AND NIGHTMARE is a picture book fantasy about friendship, loss, and the permanence of love.  

MOLLY AND NIGHTMARE will be published October 2022 by POW! Kids Books. Illustrated by David Spencer.  

An unusual friendship between Molly and her monster, Nightmare, who learn to love one another over the course of an entire lifetime. When Molly dies a very old woman, Nightmare is forced to face his grief and move on.  


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the kindness. We are excited for each other. It’s not just about our own idea of success. We love stories. We love to learn and explore. The writing/reading community is full of hope and joy and support.  


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

You are never too old for picture books! And I hope MOLLY AND NIGHTMARE makes you smile. I hope their love works its way into your heart.  


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter - @avranicole 

Website – shannonavrabooks.com 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview