Gregory Stenson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

After a career in construction working in the Uk, Poland, the Middle East and the Caribbean which allowed me to travel to the far east many times on business, an experience in the Caribbean gave me an opportunity to write, something I've thought about since enjoying English at school.


When did your love of books begin?

When I was 11 there was a book buying service at school, I don't remember the name but there was a leaflet and you could order paperback books. Then I remember being ill at home and not sure where, probably the library, I had a book by Hammond Innes, called Madden's Rock. I read it from start to finish in three days while I was ill.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I'm a creative person, I play the piano, love art and I think it was when I was around 22 I had an idea for a story, I made some notes, but that story never got written.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Firstly writing the first book was almost an obsession, I had to get this story on paper, there was never any doubt that I would finish it and fortunately I had time to write every day for four months, then I made the cover myself and wouldn't stop until I saw it in print. Whatever it took, I did.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I'm quite controversial here, if you really want to do something then you will find a way, find the advice, learn how to do it and have the perseverance to write. It's like the contestants on tv shows, the ones that say they're too nervous shouldn't try to perform, the ones that have to, will.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first was born out of strange and frightening events whilst working in Trinidad. The Seventh Island is roughly 30% autobiographical and this gave me my inspiration to write, so I found a way to mix fiction with reality and hopefully wrote an entertaining novel. The second, Dead Man's Justice, is a sequel, purely fictitious, I always seem to have ideas and ways to plot the story. Again here I'm quite controversial, in my opinion you need a natural ability, as with music I taught myself piano to around grade five, my grandfather was a pianist, it was inside me, if someone needs to learn through creative writing classes I'm not sure if they are writers first and foremost.




What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They are probably the most humble, genuine, thoughtful people who simply wish to produce their craft for others to enjoy.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Writing takes a lot of hard, unseen work and is the result of observation, inspiration and perspiration, and when your reader tells you how much they enjoyed the story, well it means everything to the writer and makes the whole process worthwhile.


Where can people connect with you?

The main way is Twitter of course, @gregorystenson but I've recently started a Facebook Group, Readersandwriters, I give daily writing tips and it is a forum for any book lover to interact with others. I will also shortly be publishing a website.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview