Glenn J. Devlin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm a retired deaf-blind writer. I spent the last 25 years as a software developer until my declining eyesight forced me into retirement.


When did your love of books begin?

It began in the 1st grade when I first read Hop on Pop, a Dr. Suess book.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Ever since the beginning of high school. I wrote a short 60-page novella about (the irony) two Russians who stole a secret formula and stashed it in Rubics Cube.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I like to think I was an author right from the get-go but didn't focus on getting published until much later. When I was at Gallaudet University, I detoured into trying to become a screenwriter and focused on that goal for almost 20 years. Realizing that it was a difficult medium to break into, I decided to return to my roots in becoming a novelist. In hindsight, some might consider maybe I wasted time trying to break into Hollywood but I think studying the craft as a screenwriter helped me build a skill known as showing and not telling.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep writing every day as much as possible. Even if it is a poem, a screenplay, a stage play or a short story - just plug away at it and don't agonize over word counts. Always expect rejection and always listen to criticism no matter how bad it is.


Tell us about your book/books:

The one I have is now currently on Amazon called "The Alien Diaries" The Alien Diaries - a book collector stumbles across a series of diaries that chronicle an alien visitation against the backdrop of the American Revolution.https://amazon.com/dp/B07DBG77P3I just finished the sequel Alien Diaries: Fallen Angels and I shelved it so I can work on another project - a Time Travel story. It's about a widowed deaf woman, an expert in history with two children - one is deaf-blind and the other is CODA. Things go awry when she is recruited to participate in a time travel project and she finds herself in the past and having to battle her way back to the present.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

A lot of supportive encouraging like-minded folks out there who have been kind to me. I try to give back by re-tweeting their stories and links. I hope they all reach the pinnacle of becoming a bestseller.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Be yourself. Be humble. Listen. Be kind. Keep writing every day. Take your time to get your draft right and enjoy every day. Life is short.


Where can people connect with you?

They can connect with me on Twitter at@gjdevlin


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview