Gary Milsom interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books probably stems from childhood and the memory of thumbing through those wonderfully illustrated and colourful reference books my father regularly received from Readers Digest. A book can be a portable source of knowledge and education – a permanent record of fact or opinion…But many are wonderfully aesthetic and hide, between their covers, a journey into a whole new world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve always enjoyed writing. I started my first novel when I was about fifteen. In fact, I probably started several novels on numerous subjects before having to go out to work for a living. Finishing them was always the problem and it wasn’t until my own children had grown up that I found I had both the time and enthusiasm to sit down a write a little more seriously.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The emergence of my first novel “The Butterfly and the Bear” was more the result of an inward journey than any conscious intention to write a novel for publication. Having only a vague idea of story I wanted to write I found myself getting embroiled in the plot and the characters I’d created.

Somewhat surprised, but definitely inspired, by the positive feedback the draft received, I thought about publishing it.  Quickly realising that unless you were already famous, a well-known chef or the star of reality TV, I decided the only viable opportunity to do so, was to self-publish. Calling upon the expertise and experience of somebody who had already enjoyed success as a self-published author and finding a suitable proof-reader and printer I set up Little Bear Publications and the novel was born.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say write the story you want to tell for you and you alone. Enjoy the process and be happy you’ve achieved an ambition. Getting your work read widely, unless you already are that chef or TV star, won’t come quickly and if you actually want to make a living from writing - well that’s another challenge altogether.


Tell us about your book/books & What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Mostly I write poetry. These range from ditties which I might pen daily to longer, more story type poems. I have published two poetry books to date but several poems lend themselves well to children’s stories and having recently discovered the wonderful talent of artist Caryn Nodes, these poems have been used as the basis for a couple of beautifully illustrated children’s books.

 

The two Novels I have written follow the lives of some complex characters and the intricacies of their journeys through life. I’ve no doubt the twists and turns in them are a result of not quite knowing the plot at the outset but both novels, throughout their pages, explore love, ambition and friendship and the way we can as human beings’ impact on one another.

 

And what do I love about those who read and write? I think I love their creativity, imagination and perhaps even their desire for a better world.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my book. It means a lot.


Where can people connect with you?

Self-Publishing, by definition, necessitates you “getting out there.” Largely this means having a presence online. Up until recently my online presence was limited to my website www.littlebearpublications.co.uk, but having  engaged SWS Publishing to establish more contact avenues, I hope you’ll  be able to easily find me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview