Frank Malley interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Frank Malley is a former journalist who writes crime fiction, sometimes funny and quirky, sometimes dark and intriguing. His new novel, The 13th Assassin, is a murder mystery cum spy thriller.


When did your love of books begin?

Back to Enid Blyton and the Famous Five and Secret Seven. As a child I loved the world you could inhabit via ink on a blank piece of paper. I devoured them, not realising that they would lead to a lifelong love of reading and fiction.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was a news and sports journalist for many years, travelling the world reporting on all sports and big events such as the Olympics and football world cups. I wrote a memoir of my experiences, Living on the Deadline, which was well received and I enjoyed the writing experience. It inspired me to try to realise a long-time ambition to write a novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Having been a journalist I was accustomed to writing to deadlines and being disciplined and focused. I wrote three non-fiction books before attempting fiction and I think these gave me confidence to organise a project with a meaty word count. My memoir clocked in at 103,000 words, although I would probably edit more ruthlessly these days.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it. Start writing. Don’t put it off or make excuses. Your dream can only be realised if you fully commit. It’s handy knowing the ending before you start. John Grisham would say it was essential, but that doesn’t mean you have to structure the entire book before you start. Some of the best books begin with the spark of an idea, then the characters take over and take the book in entirely unpredictable directions. Oh, and don’t think things are over when the book’s written. That’s when the really hard work begins. Publicity and marketing. It's a long road but worth the effort when you see your novel on the bookshelves.


Tell us about your book/books:

My latest novel is The 13th Assassin, a book that marries a murder mystery at the quaint English seaside with the dark and dangerous world of spies in Cold War Moscow. The idea came from a holiday in Dorset at the home of a recently deceased Cambridge professor. My debut novel was When the Mist Clears, a feel-good friendship saga with a twist of crime and dash of romance that hopefully will make you laugh and cry. I have also written three non-fiction books, Champions, Living on the Deadline and Simply the Best. My next novel, If it Looks Like a Duck, a quirky murder mystery, is scheduled for release in late summer, 2022.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

How supportive, knowledgeable and passionate they are. Especially the supportive bit. The great thing about the community is that authors are not in competition with each other, but actively go out of their way to help each other on social media.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. And if you like the book, please review. It makes such a difference.


Where can people connect with you?

Twitter: @malleyfrancisWebsite: https://www.frankmalley.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview