Dallas Ryan interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

A little about myself...I'm an RN, a Texas transplant to Virginia, mom to 2 and dog mom to 5. Collide; Book One of The Gladewater Series is my debut novel. Unbroken: Book Two is coming out in June.


When did your love of books begin?

I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading. My mom was a reading tutor at my elementary school and I remember my first grade teacher being exasperated with me because I would read all the books at home and she would have to find other things for me to do! I'm still a voracious reader and usually go through at least 2 books a week plus whatever I listen to in Audible while I'm driving for my day job.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Once I learned to write and spell, I started writing. English was always my favorite subject in school and I was the nerd that enjoyed writing papers! I recently came across a bunch of poetry and stories that I had written from elementary school on that my mom had kept so it's been a lifelong passion as well. 
Life got in the way for quite a while, however, and between work and raising kids, I lost my creative writing mojo. Now that my kids are just about grown, I have thoroughly enjoyed returning to writing.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I never thought about all the other 'stuff' that goes along with becoming an author. I always just thought, you write, do some editing and viola but there's so much more to it. While I'm still a total pantser, I've become much more aware of character development and story arcs while working on these first two novels than I ever have before. And the marketing? That's a whole different beast! I would say that is the toughest thing, especially for an indie author.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write. Don't think it's going to be perfect the first time around but get those thoughts on paper. And don't agonize over every single word. Just get your thoughts out there then you can go back, organize and polish. It also depends on what your writing goals are - do you want literary awards or do you just want people to buy and read your books and enjoy them. If you can do both, that's awesome, but those books are very few and far between, imo. And unless you are truly living under a special star, you're not going to have a bestseller your first time out so don't be discouraged!


Tell us about your book/books:

My characters informed me early on that I was actually writing a series. LOL The first book, Collide, is a small town, second chance romance with a slow burn.  Dani and Levi are high school sweethearts. He breaks her heart because of a dark secret he is hiding. They come together again as adults when they both return to their small town of Gladewater due to family concerns. Levi decides early on he has to win her back but Dani is resistant all the way. Secondary characters are her best friend, Maggie, Maggie's brother JT, and Zane, a good friend from the hospital where she used to work before she came back to Gladewater. 
Book Two - UNBROKEN is Maggie and Zane's story.  Zane and Maggie have a long distance, hot and heavy romance going but his playboy past wreaks havoc with their relationship. We see Maggie and Zane's relationship grow but the closer they get, the more danger Maggie is in. JT plays a bigger role in this story. UNBROKEN will be released in June.
Book Three - REDEEMED will be JT's story. I can tell it's already starting out as a heartbreaker but we'll get him to an HEA in the end! :)


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone has been so incredibly supportive! You'd think there would be a lot of competitiveness and snarkiness with everyone trying to get their books seen, but I've found it to be just the opposite. I've made some great new friends in the writing community and can call on them to give me help at any time. It's been a really great feeling!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

You really don't know how appreciative we are of your support! Every book I sell, every review I get gives me a thrill! And I'd beg, please keep reviewing! Reviews are the engines that keep our books out there and being seen by others. I always like to hear what you thought of the book and love hearing from my readers!


Where can people connect with you?

I'm on FB as Dallas Ryan, on instagram @dallasryanwrites and twitter @DallasRyan22 . You can also reach out to my by email at dallasryanwrites@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview