Book interview - Promise Me by Barbara Avon


Please tell us a little about the book

"Promise Me" is an amalgamation of two books that I wrote in 2016 (my fourth and fifth books). When Daniel Walker's wife, Amy, died in a freak accident, he gave up on love. He bought Joe's Grocery & Deli, and transformed it into "The Christmas Store" to honour her, and her love of Christmas. One snowy night, a woman knocks on the door. Daniel is immediately taken with the dark-haired beauty. Bianca is in possession of a key. She traveled from Toronto to Ottawa to unravel the mystery behind the magic relic. She didn't think she would fall in love along the way. When she is diagnosed with a terminal illness, what choices will she make to preserve their love? Is Daniel her future or will she leave him in the past? Does magic have limitations? Part 2 is partially set in Italy. 


Where did the inspiration come from for your book?

After reading Jack Finney's famous novel, "Time and Again", I always knew that I wanted to try writing time travel. I used to live downtown, and there was an amazing little Christmas store that was open all year round. Whenever I felt lonely or depressed, I visited the shop, and the store inspired the rest of the story in "Promise Me". It isn't only a Christmas book, however. There is no mention of Christmas in Part 2 of the book. 


How did you find the experience of writing this book?

It was a roller coaster ride! There's actually a bit of "real life" in the book that has to do with relationships, so it was also a therapeutic experience. In 2016, after writing part 1, my readers requested a sequel but I hadn't left myself a way out of part 1! I had written myself into a dead end. Me and my husband spent a weekend brainstorming ways that I could continue the story and we finally figured it out. A year or so ago, I created a new cover and published both books into one. 


Did you draw any inspiration from any real life people with any of your characters?

Bianca, our female protagonist, is fashioned after myself. Also, like I mentioned above, there's a sub storyline that has to do with volatile relationships between spouses and inlaws. (That's all in part 1 of the book). Part 2 of the book is partially set in Italy, and as many already know, I'm Italian and wanted to take a (fictional) trip to the country! 


If you could say anything to readers of this  book then what would it be?

Enjoy the ride! It's romantic, it's suspenseful, it's about hope, and forgiveness...it makes you wonder what you would do if you were given a magic key that could manipulate time. This isn't a "deep" book per se;  it's more a fairytale for grownups, and offers a chance to escape. What's better than escaping for a few hours? 


Are there plans for more from these characters or is this a completely stand alone piece?

Fortunately, the reader gets two books in one! But no, there won't be a "Part 3" to Daniel and Bianca's love story. The last chapter of the book will reveal why.


Where can we purchase your book?

And this is the one link to all other stores - Barbara Avon on Direct.me



Please tell us where readers can connect with you and find out about any new book releases too. 
I'm an active member of the writing community on Twitter - @barb_avon and this is the link to subscribe to my newsletter - SUBSCRIBE | barbaraavon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview