Beatrice Severien interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I've always enjoyed reading and listening to stories (other people or audiobooks) from a very early age, but I started writing at the age of 11. I'm now in my 40's. Throughout my writing journey, I've written in French and in English as I travelled and lived in different places.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Ever since I started writing when I was a child on my native island in the Caribbean. I've always been interested in having my stories adapted into movies. I did some screenwriting a few years ago in the UK, but it seems that writing books (novels or short stories) is what comes most naturally to me.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I don't like labels so I don't really like to call myself an author as though it was my entity. Although labels are useful to function in our modern world, labels also put us (everything in fact) into boxes then shut the lids on. Writing is the way Life is expressing itself through me, and the purpose of Life has always been very clear to me: pass on the message people need to hear, not just stories to entertain their greed or insane conditioning. I often like to say my characters come to me with their stories asking me to pass them on to readers.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Writing itself is easy when writing is performed through the love of being an instrument, a vehicle to a message. Promoting the writing is the toughest part. People may not believe in your characters' stories, but you need to keep believing in those characters and the truths in their stories. That's why identifying one's purpose for writing very early on is key to avoid being disheartened by rejection, or worse, being totally ignored. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My books are available in both French and English. 
If you want to put them into a category (label), science fiction and magic realism may be most appropriate, but readers who claim not to like either genre are reading and enjoying my books. That's because these books have been written for everyone, not for a specific audience. 
My stories include main characters who are Black, Asian and other minority groups (LGBQT, people with disabilities) not because it's the trend since George Floyds' death in 2020, but because this is how the world is when you just look at it. Diversity has always been there, it's the inclusion part that's always been lacking to this day. 
My stories depict more truthful, authentic worlds without the glossy and the stereotypes readers have sadly become accustomed to. I wouldn't be surprised if the Black and minority audiences predominantly enjoyed my books first, but ultimately anyone can potentially enjoy these stories just as much. 
Also, I like to make my writing accessible to all age groups by avoiding using language that wouldn't be appropriate for a young audience (+13years-old). This is also in an attempt to be as inclusive as possible with all readers. Chapters online as well as in the books are kept short to facilitate reading for readers with a short attention span.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

1) The sharing of ideas, and knowledge
2) The support and the visibility the community gives me
3) The success stories. I cheer when other people get their work published or recognized


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Be curious, stay alert, and be open to exploring stories where you've never ventured before because of fear, limited beliefs or convictions. Be brave! Stay awake and listen up to the deep messages each story is trying to tell you about yourself and the world.


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me directly on Wattpad provided they sign up to the app. My username is Butterflies1980. Here's the link to my Wattpad profile for easy access to all my stories: https://www.wattpad.com/user/Butterflies1980

If people aren't on Wattpad, they can message me on Twitter: beatriceseveri7


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview