Anthony Randall interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I started my writing career at seventeen, as a song writer. I’ve penned hundreds of tunes and recorded with many bands, it’s a hobby that I still enjoy.

Not an avid reader in my youth, I hadn’t seriously read any novels at all until I was introduced to Robert A. Heinlein’s ‘Time enough for love’ by a friend when I was 30 years-old. Since then I’m never without a book on the go, sometimes three books at time. I am definitely a late bloomer.

I was tempted into book writing by Doug Goddard back in 2002, Doug is Dyslexic and originally asked me to first decipher his scrawl, and then to correct his spelling in order to turn his story into a book. I realised instantly the lack of content in Doug’s writing and proposed that we write together, Doug’s stories, my words. I believe the synergy works well, Doug gives me a pencil sketch and I turn it into an oil painting.

We have published two novels so far in the English Sombrero series, ‘Nothing to do but run’ and ‘The Little White Ball’, both are available in e-book and paperback format, book three ‘Choice’ is under construction, as are three new titles, a thriller called ‘The Tip of the Teaspoon’ a detective mystery called ‘The Year’, and a children’s book called ‘Kurt the Kite who was afraid of heights’. Doug has a book in his own right in circulation 'What goes around, comes around' and I have released my debut novel 'Tales of Tucson' volume one, a scorching coming of age comedy, hotter than the desert sun. Volume two of this series is also in production.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It's painstakingly slow for me, I have a full time job and procrastinate way too much. Also I need to be in the zone, empty house, no distractions, but saying that, a lot of ideas, formulations and even dialog come to me whilst I'm doing other things, driving in particular, or at work.
First drafts are always rubbish, and I much prefer to go over my work. rewriting and fine tuning it, I also love the editing part of it.
I tend to do most of the grunt work myself, cover design, formatting, publishing, promoting, but I do get editors, beta and proofreaders to finalise the novels before they go out to the general public, even so, some mistakes still slip through the net.
The best bit of course is getting positive reviews, such a thrill when someone appreciates your work and the time you put into it.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be patient, like any craft it takes time to hone it to perfection, I'm always learning. If your heart's in it, stick with it, you'll get there in the end.


Tell us about your book/books:

The English Sombrero book 1:

It’s 1999, twenty-six stone alcoholic, chain smoking, fast food junkie, millionaire businessman Don Simmons has a drunken £250'000 bet that he can complete a half marathon in under an hour and a half.

Once sober and realizing the seriousness of his wager, he decides to take a year out, move to Spain, try to shed half his body weight and commence a gruelling training regime in order to preserve his esteem, win the money and save his life.

This humorous novel set for the most part against the backdrop of beautiful Catalonia, is book one in a series of four following the outrageous exploits of a modern day Avenger, a righter of wrongs, champion of Adversity and lover of malt whiskey.

The English Sombrero book 2:

Billionaire Don Simmons finds that his beloved local football team Well Green are about to be wound up and the land developed into an exclusive housing estate. Enraged to learn that the developer is a bitter old enemy and saddened by the little ninth tier team’s demise, he makes it his mission to buy the land embrace the club, inject a fortune of his own personal wealth, and propel this rag tag crew of part time soccer players into the giant slaying arena that is the FA Cup.

This humorous, inspiring, lavish tale will have you gripped to the pages as Don prepares and supplements his boys in two contrasting landscapes, the beautiful sun drenched Spanish Catalonia, and dreary old England, towards an exciting roller coaster competition ride that is The Football Association Challenge Cup.


Tales of Tucson, Volume 1:

Imagine this: You’ve been let out of your cage, given the keys to an exciting city and free rein in a land far from home. You’re twenty seven, not bad looking, in a band playing gigs all over town; the climate is roasting, the girls even hotter. You work for a gangster, his middle aged Wife is after you and so is her multimillion dollar heiress friend. You’re paid in cash, you don’t pay taxes; you don’t pay for much at all. You drink, you party, you indulge yourself in a lackadaisical drug fuelled love spree … You’d have some tales to tell, right?

It’s 1988; Tom Reynolds and Seamus Montgomery experience a turbulent extravaganza in and around this desert town; embroiled with mobsters, drugs, Reggae music, Champagne and armfuls of young ladies. They flout the law, get shot at, steal, blow things up and charm the pants off the locals. We see the depths of their depravity, the enormity of their fun and their souls bared. The girls, the Mother figures, their tyrannical boss, their bandmates, and the total lunatics they encounter along the way; in a hot and spicy, satirical, melodrama crammed with hilarity and pathos that will beg the question why did you never do this yourself?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Within the independent writing community, there is a tremendous amount of free help, advice and support to be had, most writers are in the same boat, all struggling to be spotted in an immense ocean of available literature out there, so any assistance is greatly appreciated.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Hold on, it's on its way.


Where can people connect with you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown