Aaron Bass interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm trying to achieve several things through writing children's books. The first is creating an opportunity for a child and their loved one(s) to bond. Second is my hope to help a child navigate through a possible issue or obstacle they’re facing. A general message I try to convey is, you're not alone in your struggle and don't have to isolate yourself because of fear. 

Last, I want people to see that there are individuals in prison who made a mistake and have changed. Painting a positive picture of rehabilitation and bridging the gap between prison and community. I want to encourage/inspire others to transcend the physical and mental constraints we often face or place on ourselves. We can always contribute to society and cause a positive ripple in the lives around us.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books started the moment I stepped into a library as a child. It was a magical place that allowed me to explore and be creative. I will never forget sitting in the little relaxation area, on my beanbag, with a pile of books.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Becoming an author started with a vision to help rebuild and give back to a society that I helped destroy. Prison has very limited resources for doing actual things in the community. After a lot of prayer and meditation, the idea of writing children's books manifested. I always loved rhyming, telling/creating stories, and have an incredible imagination. Giving back to society and helping our children is my driving force though.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

The process is very challenging but rewarding. The anxiety and stress that comes with being in prison is a challenge in itself. Limited resources is a challenge too. Through trial and error, I found a process that worked. I do the majority of the work in prison (researching and collecting material, writing, editing, illustrations), and then my amazing family helps with final edits, adding color to illustrations (digitally), and getting them printed.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Never get discouraged or get caught up in trying to be like someone else. I'm not saying don't be inspired or learn from others, I'm saying you have your own style and uniqueness that is beautiful. Embrace it! It takes time for a creative process to evolve and your success is in the journey.


Tell us about your book/books:

I currently have three different titles, " The Adventures Of Prince, The Penguin And Friends", "Passive The Lion", and " Hotdog & Bunny: Science Detectives." They are all centered around education, life's experiences, and challenges all children face. There are two Prince the Penguin books currently in print. The first is about the challenge of moving to a new town and having to leave behind your friends and making new ones and going to a new school. The second book is about being bullied and standing up against it. Passive the Lion,is about a young lion whose father goes to jail and is bullied and excluded because of it. Also the struggle in a single parent home. The first book in the Hotdog and Bunny series is about the negative impact pollution/carbon emissions has on our environment.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I'm new to this and honestly have never had the opportunity to be part of a writing community but I can only imagine how awesome it would be to be part of such a powerful, creative, and diverse community. Where can I sign up?


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I love being creative and using writing as a vehicle to make a positive impact in a child's life but I would like to establish relationships within the writing/reading community to have an even broader impact and collaborate on projects. There are so many children that need hope, love, and inspiration to make it through their current circumstances. It could be the books we write or the profits going towards projects that improve their conditions. There are no limitations to the positive impact we can have and that's why unity is necessary to make the real lasting changes needed in our communities.


Where can people connect with you?

My contact information is: Aaron Bass #A517-123, P.O. Box 4501, Lima,OH 45802. Or you can contact me on the JPay email service.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview