W. Scott Jones interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is W. Scott Jones. I am a retired Head Football Coach/ Athletic Director who loves to write fiction. Through the years, I have met many "characters" who have influenced my writing.  My debut novel, A Storm in the Carolinas was self-published six months ago on Amazon and has received many favorable reviews. 


When did your love of books begin?

As a boy, I particularly loved anything that had to do with American History. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was attending the University of South Carolina, I had an Education Professor (Dr. Thomas Buxton) who met with me one day after class. He said I should consider writing. I laughed and replied, " No, sir. I am going to be a coach and a teacher." He did not know it at the time, but his words of encouragement have stayed with me for many years.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Twenty- seven years ago, I wrote my first novel with the help of Dr. Thomas Buxton. The novel was rejected because Disney was releasing a movie that was so similar, the publisher said that it would look like I had copied the movie. Obviously, I was crushed and decided that writing was not for me. Three years ago, I found that original manuscript and decided to give it another try. I am so thankful that I did. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would say- Go for it. With the advent of self-publishing, anyone can publish. However, I would take the time to get good feedback from people who are impartial before I made an attempt to publish.   


Tell us about your book/books:

My Debut novel, A Storm in the Carolinas is set in rural South Carolina during 1970. It is a historical fiction that takes a look back into a turbulent time in history, chronicling the life of Preacher Storm Sanderson who offers leadership and inspiration to a divided community  Called to a rural church, the young pastor quickly finds out that his new congregation is part of a community that is embedded in the history and traditions of the Civil War, a little more than one hundred years after the last shot was fired. Facing the new school year's court ordered plan of school desegregation, Preacher Storm is put to the test during this unprecedented time period when a black teenager wants to attend the all-white church. 
Intermingled with tales of crime, corruption, alcoholism, social injustice, and redemption, this novel offers inspiration while encompassing the simplicity of deep-rooted Southern Life. 
My second novel- The Treasures of a Carolina Summer will be released at the end of May 2022. "Hot Rod" Roger James' life events during the summer of 1979 allow him to discover treasures that he will cherish the rest of his life. The town of Oak Bay's most talented athlete, this seventeen-year-old, works at a local full-service gas station during the day while playing American Legion baseball at night. Throwing pure "Carolina Heat", Roger is headed to the Big Leagues, and everyone in town knows it. 
This novel offers readers a chance to experience the treasures of a special summer, through tales of laughter, intrigue, and small-town gossip. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have been a coach for thirty-eight years. Like the coaching community, I have found the writing community to be inclusive and willing to help. I have enjoyed meeting new authors, but the most fun has been when I have been able to connect with readers. It is all about the readers. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so much for your feedback. It means so much to hear from people who have read your work.  


Where can people connect with you?

They can go to www.wscottjonesauthor.com or they can find me on Amazon Books. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview