Susan Harris Howell interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve always read a lot for fun – mostly mysteries, thrillers, as well as literary fiction. Most of my professional reading has centered on psychology, faith, and gender – which isn’t really surprising since Buried Talents crosses over into each of these areas.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I remember briefly thinking it would be cool to write a book back when I was in high school but didn’t really get serious about it until about 5 years ago.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Exhausting! J I have spent the last several years writing in my “free” time, attending writers conferences, reading books on the craft, having others critique my work – just to hopefully have a manuscript that will get the attention of an agent or editor. It’s hard, time-consuming, and at times discouraging. But when I write something that others tell me speaks to them – it’s exhilarating, rewarding, and so much fun.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be willing to work hard at learning what you don’t know and perfecting what you do know. Attend conferences, read good books, and develop a tough skin so you can learn from others’ critique of your work.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first book is, “Buried Talents: Overcoming Gendered Socialization to Answer God’s Call.” In it, I describe the subtle, implicit messages that tend to pull women away from leadership in male-dominated professions, both inside and outside of the church. This book will be released April 26th, although I hear that those who have pre-ordered have received their copies.

 

I’m also writing a novel – a cozy mystery with elements of magical realism. I’m currently finishing this book and will be looking for an agent soon.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love that other writers “get it” in ways that others don’t – the challenges as well as the discouragement.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Please read my books and then let me hear from you. I want to know what my readers think, what touches them, and what they would like to know more about.


Where can people connect with you?

Website – susanharrishowell.com

Facebook - Susan Harris Howell writer

Twitter - @susan_h_howell


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview