Nicole Asselin interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi all! I’m Nicole Asselin from just outside of Boston Massachusetts. I’m a part-time mystery writer and full-time technical writer. Oh, also a full-time cat lover. I have three beautiful cat children and one beautiful dog brother. I was raised all over, my dad was in the Navy, but we were firmly rooted in New England. Connecticut was our home base, and luckily my Grandpa Asselin raised us right. As Boston Red Sox fans. Hence, the Ballpark Mysteries.


When did your love of books begin?

My parents started me reading early. I remember childhood books in my room, the favorite being the classic “Make Way for Ducklings”. Still my go to gift for baby showers. I remember falling in love with the Nancy Drew series. I mean, a young woman detective? Yes please! I can only imagine that started me on my love of mystery books themselves. My 9th grade English class had us read “To Kill a Mockingbird” which I vividly remember opening my eyes to how important books can be and how they can affect people.

My Grandma Asselin always had a book in her hand. I remember stacks of mysteries on the end table next to her chair. Over summer visits she would always have a new book in hand, and when we would take family trips, the Grandparents would take us to used bookstores (shout out to Annie’s Books Stop on Cape Cod). Now, I can’t get enough books! There are so many great authors, both new and old, with so many stories to tell!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I studied Creative Writing in college (after starting and discarding several other majors). At the time I was a very angsty college poet. I always held on to the idea of publishing one day, but capitalism forced me into the working world. I always kept notebooks with ideas around and jotted things down but never really thought it would go anywhere. In 2016, I attended Malice Domestic, a mystery fan convention in Bethesda Maryland when looking for a weekend activity to do with my dad. Shelly Dickson Carr asked me a question one morning. “What would you write if you were able to?”

Boom, mind blown. No one had asked me that before. Immediately, I said a baseball cozy mystery. I love my Red Sox, and I love mysteries. The Ballpark Mysteries can be directly traced to that first morning question at Malice Domestic.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s definitely not for the faint of heart. Or people who like immediate gratification. I wrote the first draft of my book in 2016, and it took me until 2018 to find a publisher who was interested. Querying for agents could almost be a full-time job in and of itself. I’m so glad I live in the social media age though. I participated in so many “pitch” contests on twitter that helped me hone my “elevator pitch” for my book.

My first pitch? “Take me out to a murder? Will Madeline strike out trying to find a killer?”

From that, Zara Kramer from Pandamoon Publishing reached out. She was a big baseball fan and was looking for a book that echoed that for her! Once I got over the finding a publisher hurdle, I was so excited to learn more about the publishing process. Pandamoon provided education in addition to the services of a publisher, and I learned more about marketing, editing, and cover design than I ever thought I would.

Book one was published in 2019, and now book two is scheduled for 2022. (The pandemic kind of through a wrench in plans). Book three is in the writing stage, so hopefully things will continue to roll along.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Write your story. Don’t write to trends. There is someone out there who is going to want to read what you write!  As my dad would say, “pack your patience.” It’s not an easy journey, and not everyone will be a NYT Bestseller. But! If you have the dream of talking to other readers and writers, it’s totally worth it. Also, attend any conventions or craft chats you can! I joined Sisters in Crime and Mystery Writers of America before I even had a book fully formed in my mind. The communities are so welcoming and provide such great advice. I wouldn’t be here without them!


Tell us about your book/books:

MURDER AT FIRST PITCH is the first in the Ballpark Mystery series. It’s a cozy mystery set in the fictional world of Independent League Baseball in Massachusetts. Madeline Boucher is back working with her family and the team and of course stumbles across a dead body her first week. While she doesn’t set out to investigate the murder, when her brother is accused of the crime, she wants to clear his name as quickly as possible. It’s a love letter to my Boston Red Sox baseball fandom and cozy mystery love.

Book two in the series, CONCESSION STAND CRIMES, is scheduled to be released June 29, 2022. There is another suspicious death at the ballpark! Madeline doesn’t find the body this time, but still wants to make sure her family and team are cleared of all charges.

Book three is currently in drafting stage. This time Madeline will be taking the show on the road. Traveling to the team of a family friend, her family hopes that she can stay out of trouble. Well, it wouldn’t be a good cozy if she kept out of too much trouble. There are mysterious happenings at the ballpark and her curiosity gets the better of her.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Sisters in Crime and Mystery Writers of America have both readers and writers among their ranks. At every event, conference, or book signing they have been the most accepting, kind group of people. I have felt very welcome with my baseball mystery and the people alone make publishing worthwhile! When my book came out, I severe anxiety. Would anyone read my book? Would people like it? Who wants to read a baseball mystery? Well, apparently people did want to read it! And they generally liked it! It made the process worth it. I have met people from across the country via zoom and love connecting with other baseball and mystery fans! I couldn’t ask for a better experience.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

The biggest of THANK YOUs! I mean, if people weren’t out there reading, I wouldn’t be writing. Even during the pandemic, they still made an effort to reach out and see what’s going on with the books, tell me what they enjoyed, or just to say hi! Without being overly sappy, without the readers, there won’t be writers. So, I love ‘em!


Where can people connect with you?

So many places!

Website:  www.nicoleasselinwriter.com

Facebook:  Nicole’s Starting Lineup https://www.facebook.com/groups/705169159907300/

Twitter: www.twitter.com/nanazlyn

Instagram: www.instagram.com/nanazlyn

Tik Tok: https://www.tiktok.com/@nicoleasselin38

I love connecting with people all over. If you’re in the states, come to one of my upcoming events, I would love to see you!  (Or, if you’re out of the country, I can always do a zoom thing). I love to chat, and of course I especially love to talk books!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview