Nicky Shearsby interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Breaking into serious novel writing wasn’t something I began in earnest until taking early retirement in 2020. Since then, I have concentrated my efforts on producing my debut novel, To The Bitter End, which was released worldwide in February 2022 by award-winning independent publication house, SRL Publishing.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began when I was a child, listening to Roald Dahl and Enid Blyton, the stories they told taking me into a different world.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I always hoped to be able to write novels later in life, once I had enough time. I am lucky enough to now have a life that affords me that luxury, after selling my business and taking early retirement.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I submitted my manuscript for my debut novel, to a small independent award-winning publishing house last year, not expecting to hear back. Within just 4 weeks, I received an exciting acceptance and my debut To The Bitter End came out in February 2022. The publishers have been amazing and easy to work with so far.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

For anyone aspiring to become an author, I would say follow your dreams. If you want something bad enough, your goals are achievable. Learn all you can about writing, but don’t think you aren’t good enough. You will improve with every nice piece of writing you produce. One day, you will be able to call yourself a writer.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel, To The Bitter End, tells the tale of Craig Marshall, a young man with his entire life mapped out, everything to live for, great things ahead of him. After seeing first-hand the devastating results a brutal sex attack has on his best friend Rebecca, however, nineteen-year-old Craig sets out with the sole intent of exacting revenge on the men who attacked her. Police justice had failed to protect the friend he loves, the 1980s a decade where sexual assaults were not often taken seriously. Craig, therefore, takes matters into his own hands, kick-starting a rollercoaster ride of emotion and suffering. Never in his wildest nightmares could he imagine his actions would trigger a series of catastrophic events that would all but destroy everything he had ever known. To The Bitter End is an extreme, emotional read, testing every aspect of human life, from trusted friendships to how far a person is seriously willing to go for love.I am fascinated by the human mind, our emotions, how we think, those nonsensical things we do, including the struggles life too often throws our way. Because of this, my writing directly reflects the questions I feel are not asked often enough, and with writing ‘To The Bitter End', I have hopefully pushed boundaries, challenging reader perspective by tackling complex issues through powerful characterisation and twisted plot structure. My debut novel sets the precedence for my writing, asking serious questions that promote deeper and more profound thinking, with challenging mental health issues at the core of each plotline. My aim is simple. To open up emotional and inspirational thinking that guides others within their own lives, helping them to see things differently, appreciating those around them. We all struggle, and escaping into fiction is the perfect way to unburden a busy mind, whilst hopefully learning valued life lessons along the way.My novels are targeted at the adult reader market due to the sensitive, often triggering content included. Those who enjoy a dark psychological thriller told from a first-person viewpoint that dives directly into the troubled, emotional mindset of the main character, will hopefully find my books intriguing and enjoyable.My publishers will release two novels per year moving forward, both in the spring and the autumn. I have already written and submitted a duology thriller series, ‘Green Monsters’ and ‘Black Widow’, telling a dark and twisted story of hated and jealousy, directly from the mindset of the antagonist. Green Monsters will be released on 6th September 2022, and Black Widow on 7th March 2023. From there onward, I also have an ongoing psychological thriller series planned, called The Flanigan Files, the first in the series called ‘Beyond The Veil’, told from both the viewpoint of the protagonist and the antagonist. Beyond The Veil is booked in for release on 5th September 2023. I am now planning a further two novels for release in 2024, with two every year moving forward.

I am currently busy building a strong social media presence with my website now showcasing my books and my future goals. My website, nickyshearsby.com outlines each novel, including retailer links, release dates, synopsis and excerpts of the books.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing and reading community is amazing. The ideas, inspiration and shared journey have been invaluable so far.


Where can people connect with you?

Find me on Twitter – Nickyshearsby22Facebook – nicky.shearsby.7Instagram – nickyshearsbyauthorAnd - nickyshearsby.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview