Mai Black interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm the founding member of 'Suffolk Writers Group' and have been running groups and courses in poetry and prose for the last ten years. I've recently released a book of poems in the voices of thirty historical figures including Henry VIII, Shakespeare, Marie Curie and Queen Victoria.


When did your love of books begin?

My dad read us bedtime stories every night and my mum's an English teacher so I had a lot of access to books and stories growing up. My sister and brother were also a strong influence. As the youngest in the family, I had a lot of incentive to keep up with my brainy siblings.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

The author John Gordon came into our school when I was about nine and I remember sitting with him at dinner time, telling him my story idea. I think it was about a time-travelling dining table which took the family wherever they wanted to go.

I recently visited Ipswich High School where I chatted to pupils over lunch about poetry. It was a wonderful experience and I love to think that I might have a similar influence on some of them.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I like writing short stories and poems and have been lucky to get a variety of work published. Despite that, I've always found motivation a problem. Often, I seem to enjoy the social side of being a writer more than the actual writing. For that reason, I am especially proud of this book.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

As someone who runs a regular writing group, I'm a big fan of writing together with other people. I'd recommend everyone seeks out their own writing community, whether online or by meeting in person.


Tell us about your book/books:

As I said earlier, my book features poems in the voices of different historical figures. Each poem is written from the point of view of their ghost so I chose people who I thought would leave behind an angry spirit, either for how they were treated in life, how they have been remembered or just because of their outrage at the modern world.

For instance, Julius Caesar rages against his assassins, Henry VIII bemoans the rise of feminism, and Mary Shelley (a strong proponent of the balance between science and nature) raises the dead to punish those who cause environmental harm.

Deliberately accessible, story-like and rhythmical, the poems are particularly effective when read aloud and I've been, working with a group of actors to perform them in pubs, clubs and libraries. I’ve also started visiting high schools and that is something I’d like to do more of.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love spending time with creative people. Sharing ideas and making up stories together is such a great way to connect.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you enjoy learning about these thirty people from history and that, like me, you feel an emotional connection that crosses the boundaries of space and time.



Where can people connect with you?

You can follow me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook.


Twitter - maiblack42

Instagram - maiblackwriter

Facebook - Mai Black Writer


You can also email me at maielizabethblack@gmail.com


Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview