KP Roberson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Katie, but I go by the pen name KP Roberson. My family and I live in the southern Appalachian mountains, where we were born and raised. I love to read, write, watch movies, crochet, listen to music, garden, and hike. Fall is my happy season, and pumpkins are king. 


When did your love of books begin?

Always! My mom used to read to my siblings and me until I took over. Ha! The earliest books I remember are ‘Green Eggs and Ham’ and ‘There Is A Monster At The End of This Book’. Naturally, when my spouse and I had kids, those two books were on our shelves.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

In fourth grade, a poem I wrote won a school contest and was published in a book of poetry. This gave me the confidence to continue writing poetry and songs throughout school. Then, in high school, I ended up performing one of my original songs on stage at the talent show. The final draw to expand into storytelling came about eight years later. My spouse and I joined a group of friends who formed a local writing group. We had monthly challenges and my short stories had very positive reception. It wasn’t until the pandemic began that I actually had the chance to work on my first novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Well, I’m a homeschool mom, so time and energy are limited. I have found the process a bit daunting, although very rewarding. It helps having the enormous support from my family and the friends I have made in the writing community of Twitter. One person I particularly am thankful for is Azshure. She has helped tremendously in making the process a little less crazy… and fun. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you have a story you want to tell, give it a go! Write what you know and what you love. However, don’t force creativity. Writing should be fun. If you enjoy what you write, the readers will as well. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Between the Birches: Awakening is the first in a new adult, dark urban fantasy series set in an alternative modern world where magic is real, monsters exist, nightmares come true. So, basically, there’s a bit of everything, because I like to read a bit of everything: Fantasy, sci-fi, romance, horror, mystery. I’ll include the book blurb, but the basics are this:Newlyweds Beth and Tom Newman, and their best friend, Grady Cooper, go for a weekend hiking/camping trip that quickly turns into a nightmare. Apparently, the friends Beth thought she had were hiding a dark secret, and they want to sacrifice her, so… commence the running. There’s also a bit of a weird sort-of love triangle and something about angry potatoes getting revenge on Beth (according to Azshure).  


Book Blurb:

Beneath the hills of Western North Carolina lies an ancient evil, trapped for a millennia. There are many who seek to release it, and only two who can stop them...


Newlyweds Beth and Tom Newman are headed to the Appalachian Mountains for a relaxing weekend with their best friend, Grady Cooper. When the trio arrives, they are unexpectedly met with some old friends. Beth’s excitement soon turns to dread when they end up running for their lives. Her twenty-fifth birthday turned out to be more memorable than she had hoped… in the worst of ways.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Oh, wow. The first thing that comes to mind is the support of some freaking awesome indie authors! My TBR is so full of self-published or indie published books. If you want to be inspired to write, look on the Twitter writing community and find your people, ‘cause there are a ton of talented writers in all genres. A lot of them are willing to give small bits of advice and wisdom. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you. Thank you for taking a chance and choosing to read my story. Thank you for inspiring me to continue writing with your kind words and support! You are who keeps the stories alive for authors like myself. 


Where can people connect with you?

Mostly on Twitter. Lol I am also on Facebook and Instagram, but there’s more engagement in the Twitterlands. If you don’t have a social media account, I also have a very basic web page, https://authorkproberson.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview