Gary Goldstein interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I was always reading books from the time I was 12 or 13. I belonged to what was then the by-mail Book of the Month Club (maybe still exists?) plus I haunted my local bookstores and Barnes & Noble remainder bins. I was an English minor in college, so I read a lot for those lit classes (can’t say I always finished everything, but it did inspire me!).


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Before I became a writer I was a film publicist. When I was considering making the switch to full-time writer I took a novel-writing class and wrote maybe the first half of a book. We’d read our pages aloud and, at one point, my teacher said “You’re very funny,” which was a bit of an eye-opener, I guess. But it would be many years of working as a screenwriter and a playwright before I sat down to complete my first novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It was liberating and soul-satisfying but also painstaking in a different way from screenwriting. Still, a very joyous process for me. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Tell a story you would like to read, but one that others might as well. Be clear on classic storytelling structure before you start to write (yet be open to coloring outside the lines when needed); it will be your guide. To that end, prepare a start-to-finish outline, at least the major story beats and character arcs. Don’t get into the car until you know your destination, so to speak. Oh, and don’t give up.

That said, if you’re a first-time or less experienced writer (and congrats for making this giant leap!) hone your overall writing chops before jumping into a novel. My best advice: Take an intro to journalism class. It’ll teach you so much about sentence structure, writing tight copy (avoiding repetition), grammar, punctuation, etc. You can find your own distinct style and voice from there, but you need the basics.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first novel, which came out in August 2021, is called The Last Birthday Party. It’s a wry romantic comedy about Jeremy Lerner, an L.A. writer whose life falls apart the day after his 50th birthday party and comes back together in a string of unexpected ways.

It’s a lot about reinventing yourself, both career- and relationship-wise, as well as what brings people together romantically and what splits them apart. It’s been fascinating and gratifying to hear how its themes have connected with readers of all ages and backgrounds. But mostly I hope people find it a fun and relatable read.

My second novel, which will be published in October 2022 (also by Hadleigh House) is called The Mother I Never Had. It’s very different from the first book, a full-on drama about a 30-year-old landscape designer who, after losing the single father he adored, discovers a startling family secret that upends his life. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It mostly feels as if everyone is rooting for each other’s success and happy to share whatever they’ve learned—or are learning—about the writing process. Writing can be a lonely endeavor, we so often do it in a vacuum, so it’s great to know there’s a community of folks going through many of the same ups and downs you may be experiencing. The phrase “It takes a village” couldn’t be more apt.

As for readers,  it’s great to hear their book recommendations and learn what is and isn’t working for them in a given read. It’s heartening to meet/see so many people who love books as much as we authors do and to know how important reading is to so many people out there.   


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Mainly just a big thank you for taking the time to read my book and for their support through word-of-mouth and by posting ratings and reviews. We couldn’t do what we do without our readers, full stop. 


Where can people connect with you?

You can reach out or follow me on Twitter and Instagram at @GaryGoldsteinLA. And check out my website for more info at www.GaryGoldsteinLA.com. Thanks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview