Emma Cowell interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Thank you so much to Feed My Reads for hosting me. I live in Cornwall with my fur baby Papoushka Gerald Cowell, a Russian Blue who rules the roost, and my husband, Tony who is a journalist. I used to be an actress and BBC presenter, but within the glorious twists and turns of life, I now have the privilege of being Head of Philanthropy for national children’s palliative care charity, Together for Short Lives. Outside of work, I am a keen angler and am trying to learn Greek to maintain my love affair with the country where I have set my debut novel, One Last Letter From Greece. I’m unable to say anything meaningful outside of ordering food and wine, but if you need help in a taverna, I’m your girl!


When did your love of books begin?

Since I can remember, I’ve always loved reading. From early school years, then gorging on Roald Dahl, the Narnia Chronicles and onwards to Margaret Atwood and beyond. You can chart your life through the books and authors you discover at certain ages. I remember vividly when I was ten years old, my late Mum told me she named me after Emma by Jane Austin. I felt terribly important being named after a character in a book.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve always loved writing and perhaps fifteen or so years ago in my spare time, I started to write a novel. But takes such commitment to knuckle down and get a complete story out. At the time I was heading up an appeal to build a children’s hospice in Cornwall which was all consuming and I didn’t have enough head space to write. That story remains abandoned at twenty thousand words in a drawer. Life can get in the way of creativity, but when I was afforded the time during the first lockdown in 2020, I returned to an idea I’d had a year or two before. I’d written maybe a third of the manuscript, but I went back to the beginning, completely re-worked it and then it unfurled….and it became my debut novel.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Exhilarating, terrifying, bewildering- an utter rollercoaster! It was daunting stepping into an unknown world, hoping to become a published author. I still balk at that term as I feel like a terrible imposter, unsure how this has all happened. The various stages of the process have so many highs and lows, not in the least actually completing a novel, which is a marathon in itself. The quest to find an agent takes bravery to expose yourself to rejection, but you want to find an agent who not only gets your writing and loves your storytelling but believes in you, not just for the book you queried with, but for the future.

Going out on submission to publishers felt very exciting, but in the midst of that process, it dawned on me: what if nobody wants this book that I’ve poured my heart and soul into? The idea this would all be for nothing, the months of edits and re-writes back and forth with my agent could just be a wicked game I’d played, a nasty torturous trick to endure. It was then I realised, I wanted to be a published author more than anything and the alternative was crushing and unimaginable. During those two weeks while we waited for responses from publishers, I have never refreshed my Emails so many times, I’m certain I got some kind of repetitive strain injury from it!

I feel incredibly lucky to have had publishers bidding for my book at auction and, finally, we decided on the home for it in Harper Collins, Avon. Then a series of heart stopping moments like signing the contract, seeing your book cover for the first time, hearing people at your publisher’s talk with such passion about this little story you created in a nook of your home. It’s baffling and brilliant all at once.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Simply: write! Writer procrastination is real, and it’s easy to become distracted. If, like me, you have a day job, you need to be strict and carve out time to write. Whether it’s setting your alarm at 6am and doing as much as you can before your day starts or grabbing time in the evenings or at weekends, it will soon become your routine and you’ll look forward to that precious time. Having spoken to so many established authors about their approach, each one is different. But if you aim to write something each day, you’ll make progress with your novel.

I didn’t plot ahead when I was writing my first book as I had no contractual obligation nor a deadline, so I could vibe with my characters and enjoy it. Now, it’s different and there’s a pressure, but I am loving creating another world for my cast to inhabit. Plotting in detail is not my default way of working but, with book two, I’ve written plot beats and guidelines for the five chapters ahead of where I am in my manuscript. Then, I go back and write them. I know where the story starts and ends which is more than I had when I began my first novel. Now, I attempt a more structured way of working, which is helpful for when you get into multiple drafts, you have a written reference of plot moments to refer to. And remember, if you have written a novel, it is a great achievement, and the naysayers you will inevitably encounter, those reviewers, or friends who don’t enthuse about your story as much as you hoped they would…just ask yourself silently, when is their book coming out?! Give yourself credit and a little pat on the back occasionally.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut, One Last Letter From Greece, is a journey of self-discovery for Sophie, my protagonist and a sweeping love story that spans generations but it is more than just a romance. It is also a love letter from a child to a mother, a tribute to friendship and a celebration of Greece, a country I love and respect so dearly. It was an opportunity to collate some life experiences of my own, and my friends’, putting them in a fictional setting. There is an old adage that says write what you know, which I did, but this was about writing what I felt.

My experience of losing my mum when I was 36 years old forced me to reflect on how our relationship informed my life and how it continues to do so. I know I was incredibly lucky to have such a close bond with my mother and it has certainly influenced my friendships. That maternal energy shapes how you give love to others in your life. There is an interesting shift that happens when you lose a parent as you come to terms with life without them, which for Sophie in my book, provides an interesting background for her story as she grapples with her changing feelings.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There’s always talk about how toxic social media is and that is valid in some respects. But the writing community online is a revelation. It is filled with people at all stages of the authoring process, and it is true sisterhood in action across the genders and genres. I have had the most astonishing support from authors I admire and love as I deign to step into their hallowed world. Many have been generous enough to read my novel and offer quotes ahead of publication. A lot of authors spend time interacting with readers and aspiring authors looking for advice and they are generous with their time and wisdom. There’s a sense of we are all in this together. The reading and blogging community are so encouraging and supportive. People reach out when they see you have a debut novel and want to champion you. Yes, you will always get someone online who is disparaging or cruel about your writing but focusing on the kindness of online friends and strangers, surely, will get all of us through!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you! Thank you for reading my story and for your support. It is such a daunting world to enter and when the feedback is positive, it is the most encouraging thing in the world, an unquantifiable thrill when someone loves your writing and pulls out part of the story that you love or a side character they connected with. I remember speaking to Santa Montefiore about reviews and she said she never reads them as she looked at one decades ago and she couldn’t write for months. I completely understand that, it can really knock your confidence. I am aiming for a thicker skin and am indebted to those who have supported me thus far on my journey. And to those of you who buy my book when it’s out on June 9th, I cannot thank you enough and hope you enjoy it.


Where can people connect with you?

Via my website: emmacowell.com Twitter: @emmalloydcowell Instagram: @emmalloydcowell or on FB: facebook.com/EmmaCowellAuthor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview