David Roy interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

David Roy, originally from Bangor in Northern Ireland, now living near Preston in England. 


When did your love of books begin?

I have no idea. I don't remember reading children's books but as a teenager I was into Alistair Maclean, Jack Higgins and Leslie Thomas. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I dabbled with writing for years, entering short story competitions with no success. I had a manual typewriter in the 1980s but it was the advent of the PC which spurred me (and many others) on. I was always writing stories in my head - I still do, sometimes. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Time consuming. I began writing properly in 1994 after finishing university. In those days you sent your manuscript off directly to a publisher who probably put it straight into the bin! When my first book was rejected repeatedly, I wrote another. I repeated this process about fifty times, eventually just putting my new books straight onto Amazon Kindle. It was in 2020 before an old friend, who had worked in publishing, finally read one of my books. We went through many publishing scenarios until he finally suggested we start our own publishing house! That's when I was published but since then we have taken on other authors and put out some great stories.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

You need resilience. Writing the book is almost the easy part. Trying to get published is much more difficult. There are many potentially good books which never see the light of day, simply because the market is flooded with hopefuls. Make sure you have a story to tell and the ability to write the story. Make sure your manuscript is polished. Then... start sending it off to agents.  


Tell us about your book/books:

My first published book was ‘Smoke Without Fire’, which detailed my dismissal from my job as a teacher in Blackpool. I took my employers to employment tribunal and won but there was a lot of intrigue along the way. The next book was called ‘Absent Victim’ about a private detective who takes on the case of a woman who is convinced that she’s killed someone. The problem is, there’s no body, no evidence of any sort, no motive, no name. It’s a mystery/crime thriller written during lock down. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Anything where like-minded people are able to share experiences has got to be a good thing. Writing is full of disappointment with sometimes brief flashes of hope and you soon learn that everyone has been in the same position as you. It is nice to be reminded of that. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Support Hobart Books!


Where can people connect with you?

Hobart Books | Publisher | Author submissions  The books are available on Amazon and can be ordered from book shops.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview