Carol Wyer interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My parents were big readers. (We would all read in the same room every evening, instead of watching television.) Every Friday evening, my mum and I would all head to the local library to choose our week's reading. I recall sitting in the children's section of the library reading, while she browsed the shelves, head in a book. I think I'd have been about 5 year's old at the time. I was an only child, and quite a lonely one, so books were my friends, and I was always lost in one.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always loved writing. Having spent years writing simply for my own amusement, in my thirties I wrote a series of short stories that taught French to very young children. At the time, I was running a language company so didn't have time to write. It wasn't until I made out a bucket list some years later, and top of the list was to write a novel for the adult market, that I sat down and wrote a comedy, Mini Skirts and Laughter Lines. My intention was to write only one book, but things escalated and after seven comedies, I moved to the dark side where I established myself as a crime writer. This week I finished writing my 28th novel!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

At times, frustrating, demanding, and soul-destroying. It has also been uplifting, thoroughly enjoyable and fulfilling. I absolutely love writing. I wouldn't want to do anything else. I have had lows: an early publishing house who signed me went bust and all my books suddenly became out of print. However, I also had several lucky breaks that helped me hugely. One of my comedies, Grumpy Old Menopause saw me interviewed on BBC Breakfast television and then on numerous radio shows. The book then won an award and so on the back of it, I was picked up by Bookouture (who are part of Hachette.) They launched my career as a crime writer and my first crime novel with them soared into the top 10 charts to take up #2. Again, thanks to that success, I was approached by a New York agent who asked to represent me and who has since signed me to Thomas & Mercer. My first novel with them., An Eye for an Eye, grabbed the elusive #1 spot for almost an entire month and I have since been signed for more books with them.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

  1. Be patient. Getting a publisher is a very long process. Once you submit, you will have to wait for months to see if you are accepted and you will face rejections. 
  2. Never give up. While you wait, write something else. Build your audience on social media. 
  3. Believe in yourself.
  4. Don't expect to suddenly become rich as an author. The hours are very long. The rewards not huge. Keep your day job until you are established and can expect a steady stream of income.


Tell us about your book/books:

There are so many, I will bore you rigid if I talk about them all. I have four comedies available and three crime series. My favourite comedy is What Happens in France about a a game show that takes place in France and featuring a media star - Biggie Smalls a pug. I enjoyed the research for this book which meant going on several television shows myself! My crime series are all different and although there are numerous plots, there are arc themes running through each series.
In the first series (DI Robyn Carter), there is a mystery surrounding the lead character's fiancĂ©, who is supposed to be dead. In the second, Natalie's home life falls around her ears as she juggles work and home life with shocking results. The third - ah well, you have to read it and find out! 
The DI Robyn Carter series, beginning with Little Girl Lost,  runs to five books and a bonus story. the DI Natalie Ward series, starting with The Birthday, runs to seven books. The latest series, DI Kate Young is the darkest and starts with An Eye for an Eye. The most recent book (3) only came out in March. There are another two books to come in that series but I also have a standalone thriller due out in November called Behind Closed Doors.
All the books can be read as standalones but I'd recommend reading them as a series. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Their generous support. their enthusiasm and the fact they stay in contact with me and keep me going, especially on those long nights when I am writing, and my spirits are flagging. A kind comment, or an email totally changes my perspective. Writing  (for me at least) is a very solitary existence and so without my readers I would be very much alone.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

A very sincere thank you. I often write that in my books, but I mean it. If it weren't for you, i wouldn't write.


Where can people connect with you?

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/AuthorCarolEWyer

Twitter - https://twitter.com/carolewyer

Blog - https://carolwyer.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview