Anna Willett interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I love my home life. I’m married to a man I met when we were both in high school and we have two adult children, one still living at home. We also have two German Shepherds who spend a great deal of time relaxing on the couch. It sounds chaotic and it is – but in a good way.

My fist book was published in 2016 and since then I’ve written another fourteen novels. Writing has become part of my life and something I do almost every day. I can’t imagine my life without writing. 


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve been in love with books ever since I can remember. It started with The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton, when I was five. I loved that book and read it over and over again.

My mother was a veracious reader and encouraged me to read books that really broadened my mind and my ability to appreciate storytelling as an art form. I’m very grateful to her for setting me on this path. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wanted to be a writer as far back as when I was in Primary School. It’s something I’ve always known I wanted to do but never took seriously until about nine years ago. At the time, I’d had double knee surgery and after reading my stock pile of books, I decided to take the plunge and start writing a novel. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

That’s a huge question! I knew I wanted to be traditionally published simply because I didn’t have the time it took to self-publish. Finding a publisher is a skill in itself. There’s the query letters and the research to find the perfect home for your book. It takes time – a long time.

I was fortunate and found a home for my first novel with an independent publisher who saw value in my work. I’ve stayed loyal and have just had my fifteenth novel released through the same publishing house.

The process is an education; a tremendous learning curve. I feel like I’ve taken an nine-year master class in all things related to the business of creating books and I’ve enjoyed every painful and exciting second. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just write. Worry about fixing everything once you’ve completed the first draft. You can’t polish what you don’t have. And, take advice! Don’t be too precious about your work because there is always room to improve. 


Tell us about your book/books:

My books are thrillers that, at times tip over into horror. Not in a supernatural way although I have written two supernatural horror novels. My stories are all set in Western Australia, a little-known part of the world, but a place I consider to be the perfect setting for strange and dangerous happenings. Perth, the capital city, is the most isolated city in the world and so it’s both a beautiful and dangerous local. If you want to know more about the forests, bush land, beaches and small towns in my little corner of the world, you’ll have to read my books.

I write about ordinary people and put them in extraordinary situations. My main characters are usually strong yet flawed women and my villains are complex and unexpected. My new release, Lost to the Lake is a domestic thriller that begins with a home invasion and leaves the MC, Beth questioning everything she thought she knew about her marriage.

My target audience is anyone who comes willingly to a story with their mind open to the possibility of being entertained, surprised and a little bit scared. I want readers to close my books feeling satisfied that they got what the blurb promised. 


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

In my experience, the writing community is made up of people who share a common dream: to become full-time writers. I love that it’s a community of people who understand the importance of the small wins and the big triumphs in an up-and-coming writer’s life. In many ways, they are the only people who really understand what the little things mean. They are also people who love books and are generous with their time and knowledge. But it’s a give and take community where you can expect to find support and help, but you must be willing to pay it forward. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

As always, I’m grateful to my readers embracing my books and coming along for the ride. I hope I never disappoint you. 


Where can people connect with you?

I love hearing from readers so please feel free to drop me a line at: willett890@outlook.com

Or check out my website: http://www.annawillett.info/


Connect with me on:

Instagram: @annawillettauthor


Twitter: @AnnaWillett9


Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B01HU1SG3E


Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/anna-willett


Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/15315859.Anna_Willett


Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Anna-Willett-1732961043643247/?ref=bookmarks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview