V.M. Nelson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

V. M. Nelson is a paranormal/fantasy fiction writer who lives in Minnesota, U.S.A. When she is not writing, she is working as an accountant, spending time with family, or playing video games such as World of Warcraft. She also loves her writing sidekick, Coco, the cat.


When did your love of books begin?

When I was younger, I liked to read. My favorite book was Bunnicula. After high school is when my love of books really started. I read young adult vampire novels and couldn’t get enough of them. This is where I became fascinated with the concept of a half-vampire/half- human character. After vampires, I started reading a lot of paranormal and fantasy books.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I was binge reading, and I was looking for a certain story about sisters that reminded me of my relationship with my sister. She always looked out for me, but they had to be part vampire. I stumbled across NaNoWriMo and I decided to write what I wanted to read and here I am.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Interesting and overwhelming. I went back and forth, deciding if traditional or self-publishing was the best route. After lots of research, I concluded self-publishing is right for me. I have found my editing team, cover designer, purchased vellum to format my books, and currently, I am working on a marketing plan. Listening to podcasts has been a great way to learn. Plus, the amazing writing community is right at my fingertips. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Read and write a lot. You will need to do both to continue fine tuning your craft. Also, don’t be shy. Let others read your work and be open to feedback. You may not agree with it or use it—it’s still your story—but digest it. I have gotten some great feedback from others, which has led to some minor and major changes. I have also received some feedback, such as “I don’t like the name Ethan” and I said thank you, then moved on.


Tell us about your book/books:

My debut novel, Hunted: The Dhampyr Series—Book One, is going to be released in the fall of 2022 with a presale starting this summer. It is the first book in a series. Book two is ready for editing and slated for a Spring 2023 release. Book three is in the first draft stages and slated for a fall 2023 release.

Hunted is an urban fantasy about dhampyrs, vampires and humans. Two rare half-human/half-vampire girls are the focus of the story. The main character, Tasi, cares for her younger sister, Emily, after they are orphaned. Emily doesn't know she's a vampire. Tasi is not only keeping a secret from her sister, but she is also trying to figure out who is hunting them for their blood.

Stolen is book two and Tormented, is book three and follows Tasi as the main character throughout.

Once this series is complete, I have a spin-off planned for one of my characters.

Here is some character art of Tasi and Emily. I had an amazing illustrator draw these for me. You can find her @_lytra on Instagram.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The best part about this community is meeting people with like minds and aspirations. On social media, I have met some amazing readers. Through beta reading someone else’s story, I met a critique partner and someone I would love to see publish her book one day. Then there is all the support and cheerleading on social media. I love listening to different authors. We each have our own journey, no matter which way you decide to publish.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you to all my alpha and beta readers for reading book one and two. I love that you continue to take your time and read this project of mine. My favorite part of writing is creating characters that stay with my readers after the book is gone. I hope I have done this for them.

For my future readers, I cannot wait to bring you an adventure in sisterhood, respect, and my favorite paranormal creatures. Thank you for making this wild ride worthwhile.


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on any of the below. Signing up for the newsletter on my website will keep readers up to date with releases and giveaways starting later this year.

Website: www.VirginiaMNelson.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirginiaMN97

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaMN97

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/virginiamn97/

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview