Sarah Jane Butfield interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Sarah Jane Butfield, aka The Accidental Author! My journaling, which became a cathartic exercise after we lost our home during the Brisbane floods in 2011, helped to launch my blogging and writing career and as they say, the rest is history. A travel memoirs series, nursing memoir series and an author self-help series.



When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved reading; however, my love of true stories and memoirs was triggered after reading Driving Over Lemons by Chris Stewart. I enjoy reading a book that is written from the heart with honesty and transparency enabling the reader to relate to the story and experience the journey with the author. I am also a huge fan of romance novels, especially those with a happy ever after. I read a lot of books for other authors for reviews and critique and therefore I read across all genres, I am a bit of book nerd to be honest.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

We had relocated to Tasmania to live with family after we lost our home, business, and our belongings in the 2011 Brisbane floods. I started a new job to help restart our life in Australia and I was telling my colleagues about how we came to be in Australia and how our dream of a new life had been washed away literally by the floods. My friend and work colleague Jenny said, “you can’t make this stuff up, you should write about it for your friends and family back in the UK”, so I did. My first unedited version with a very basic cover made from a photograph in Picasa quickly became a bestseller on Amazon. This led to a second edition professionally edited and with photographs added which again was a best seller. I was shocked and humbled by the emails and offers of help that I received from readers, authors and publishing professionals reading about our story.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It has been a huge learning curve, and I have made many amazing friends along the way. I had to learn ‘on the go’ as I had already published my first book with no preparation, and it was the information that I learned during this period that I compiled into the author self-help series which starts with The Accidental Author. This series aims to help aspiring and debut authors get started without a marketing budget and without making all the mistakes I made.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just do it.

I believe we all have a story to tell, it could be an experience we have had, or learned from; skillset we can share our knowledge of, or a fictional story created in our minds that needs to be shared. There are so many and varied writing opportunities now, whether it is blogs, short stories, magazine articles or writing books. The writing world is your oyster you have nothing to lose other than the time it takes to write.


Tell us about your book/books:

My travel memoir series consists of:

Glass Half Full Our Australian Adventure

Two Dogs and a Suitcase Clueless in Charente

Our Frugal Summer in Charente

The Nomadic Nurse Series consists of:

Ooh Matron!

Bedpans to Boardrooms

Book 3 due for release in 2022

The author self-help series:

The What, Why, Where, When, Who & How Book Promotion

The Accidental Author (FREE at all online bookstores)

The Amateur Authorpreneur

The intermediate Authorpreneur

I also ghost write and co-write with, and for, other authors on Amazon.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

This will sound corny and cliché, but it’s the friendliest group of people I have ever encountered. There is no personal competition as everyone’s story or writing direction is different and this lends itself to everyone helping one another.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

A huge ‘Thank you’.

I published my first book in 2013 and since then I have accrued thousands of followers on social media, my blogs, and websites. I receive hundreds of emails from parents, expats and aspiring authors and I feel grateful that people choose to buy and read my books.


Where can people connect with you?

My books are available at all good online stores via Books2read or Amazon

https://books2read.com/GlassHalfFull

https://books2read.com/TwoDogs

https://books2read.com/ourfrugalsummer

 

https://books2read.com/OohMatron

https://books2read.com/Bedpanstoboardrooms

 

Facebook

 Author Sarah Jane Butfield | Facebook

Glass Half Full Facebook page

 

Two Dogs and a Suitcase Facebook page

Our Frugal Summer in Charente Facebook page

 

Ooh Matron (The Nomadic Nurse series) Facebook page

 

Support and networking for authors provided by Sarah Jane:

https://www.facebook.com/RukiaPublishing

 

https://www.facebook.com/promotingauthors

 

Instagram:

Sarah Jane Butfield Rukia Publishing

Twitter:

@SarahJanewrites

Websites:

Rukia Publishing

Author Sarah Jane Butfield

Blogs:

Sarah Jane Butfield Author blog

Email:

rukiapublishing@mail.com

sarahjanebutfield@gmail.com

 

Subscribe to my personal newsletter for updates, competitions, and sneak previews

http://eepurl.com/0IuML


Comments

  1. Thank you so much for the feature and the social media coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing to read your story and your 'why'
    You have been through through much and to write about it too is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a lovely read, very honest and clearly shows passion for writing. Definitely going to have a look and read some of your books

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview