Richard Thomas Carey interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

grew up in Southern England at a time when life seemed innocent and children were allowed to play freely, climbing trees and riding bikes without helmets etc. When I left school, I went through a number of jobs till I became a Care Worker in Mental Health, supporting vulnerable children and adults with learning disabilities. I have also lived and worked in Australia and Canada also working in Mental Health. I hope that my stories spread a touch of magic with positive thoughts of encouragement and kindness in some shape or form.  



When did your love of books begin?

I have loved books from a very early age, especially the old children's classics.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I had an accident at the age of ten, where I fractured my skull and lost my memory for three years so I had difficulty learning at school. I found that reading and making up stories in my head, helped me to remember things. I wanted to become a children's author in my late teens when I got my memory back but never had the confidence to send my stories off as I had lost a lot of self-confidence after the accident, so because of that, I was a pretty late developer until a couple of years ago, when I thought, what have I got to lose but really wish I had done it sooner.



How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I have loved every part of it, especially when the pictures that I have in my head, come to life on the page. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it whenever you have the urge. I wish I had the confidence to have started earlier. 


Tell us about your book/books:

Felix Finds his Fortune, is a story about a poor little mouse called Felix who lives in the country. With winter on its way, he realises that he has no food left, so decides to start a new life in London. On his long journey down to London, Felix finds a different place to shelter each night, from a leaky flowerpot to an old boot and meets many characters along the way who show him kindness. Once he arrives in London, he manages to find food and shelter for the night, in exchange for helping a Raven Master, a fishmonger and a milkmaid, all of who are having trouble with some pesky cats. On Christmas Eve as Felix moves on, but is caught in a snowstorm till he manages to find shelter inside a doll’s house in a toy shop. The next morning when Felix wakes up, little does he know what a surprise he is in for when he finds out that the doll's house has been taken to its new home and given to a little girl for Christmas. But this is not just any little girl, but the princess at Buckingham Palace, where he falls in love with her pet mouse, Wilomena. It is then that Felix realises that he has indeed found his fortune, recognising that it's not all about money, but love, happiness, and how a little bit of kindness can go a long way.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

It is great how other authors connect and they’re always there to give advice and help 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Never think your stories aren't good enough as it only holds you back. Sometimes when we may think that an idea might not work, whereas others might think the opposite. Who would have ever believed that a flying nanny would work, or a house spinning around in a tornado and landing in another land! 


Where can people connect with you?

I am on Goodreads, and Twitter @woodelf68hotma1 and the book is available on Amazon and all good UK bookshops.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview