Pam Lecky interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I'm an Irish historical mystery author, living in a small town just north of Dublin city. I have always been fascinated by history and encouraged by my parents, I was an avid reader from an early age. Growing up, I read extensively, my go-to reads being historical fiction and crime novels. My debut novel, The Bowes Inheritance, was published in 2015. It was received very well, being shortlisted for Novel of the Year for the Carousel Aware Prize and also shortlisted by the Historical Novel Society. Since then, my Lucy Lawrence Mystery Series has been published, with three books already published and a fourth in the planning stage. This series, which is set in the late Victorian period, is very popular in the US. In 2020, I signed a 2 book deal with Avon Books UK/Harper Collins. The first book in this WW2 espionage series, Her Secret War, was published last October, and to my delight, hit the No. 1 bestseller position on Amazon in the US in January. The sequel, Her Last Betrayal, will be released on 14th April this year. I am a member of the Historical Novel Society, The Crime Writers Association and the Society of Authors and I am represented by the Hardman & Swainson Literary Agency in London.



When did your love of books begin?

One of my earliest memories is of my father bringing me to a local library and signing me up for a library card. I was probably about four or five. He always read a bedtime story to me, too. As an only child, I tended to spend a lot of time reading. I loved to escape into those fictional worlds.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote poetry as a teenager but becoming an author wasn't a particular ambition when I was younger. Life and family kept me busy. It was only about ten years ago that I began to write again. I challenged myself to write a complete novel; then I found I was hooked! Once I was brave enough to show my work to a relative, who loved it, I gained the confidence to put my work out on submission.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Well, it is different for everyone. I have enjoyed the journey very much. I started out as an independently published author and loved the control and creative freedom. Now, I am a hybrid author so I am enjoying the best of both worlds. I have been very lucky to have a very supportive husband and family. Lucky too, in finding a wonderful agent, back in 2018. I'm still learning about the traditional publishing world but so far, I am really pleased by the reaction of readers to my new books.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would strongly advise that you learn about the industry and what being an author actually entails. It isn't all book launches and glittering prizes. Even if traditionally published, there is an expectation that you will do a lot of your own PR and marketing. If you go the Indie route, you have to wear all the hats all of the time, and to publish a quality book takes time and money. At the end of the day, there is a lot of luck involved too. It is hard work but when it goes well, there is no better feeling. For me, the high points are when you receive positive feedback from readers.


Tell us about your book/books:

My first novel, The Bowes Inheritance, is a romantic suspense/mystery, and is the story of two Irish sisters who inherit a small farm estate in England. What they hope will be the answer to their prayers, turns out to be opposite, with a hostile neighbour and mysterious happenings on their property. To their horror, they become entangled, unwittingly, in a Fenian plot. The novel was shortlisted and longlisted by the Carousel Aware Prize and the Historical Novel Society, achieved the BRAG Medallion and various other accolades. Buy Link: https://MyBook.to/Bowes
The Lucy Lawrence Mysteries are set in the late Victorian era with two books set in England and one in Egypt. The fourth book will be set in northern Italy. It follows the exploits of Lucy Lawrence, a young widow, and Phineas Stone, an insurance investigator, as they become entangled in various murders and crimes and do their best to solve them as their often fraught relationship develops. The first book is No Stone Unturned - Buy Link: https://MyBook.to/NSU. The second book, set in Egypt, is Footprints in the Sand: Buy Link: https://MyBook.to/Lucy2. The third book, which was released last December is The Art of Deception - Buy Link: https://MyBook.to/Lucy3.
I also have a collection of short stories, Past Imperfect, some of which are also available as Kindle short reads.
The Sarah Gillespie WW2 series, published by Avon Books UK/Harper Collins, follows a young Dublin woman who leaves Ireland after her family and her home are lost during a bombing raid. She joins family in England only to become embroiled in a dangerous mission for the British Secret Service. The first book is Her Secret War, (http://smarturl.it/HerSecretWarand was released last October. The sequel, Her Last Betrayal, is due for release on 14th April 2022 (smarturl.it/HerLastBetrayal). This story follows on immediately after the first book and features Sarah's next mission when she is tasked to root out an IRA man based in England, who is helping the German cause. Further books in the series are in the planning stage, and the series is available worldwide at all good retailers/platforms.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is wonderfully supportive, in general. One of the joys of being an author for me has been networking with other writers and publishing professionals. Now, I have author friends all over the world and we all support each other. I have also been very lucky to have a growing and loyal readership. On the days when things are not going so well, a nice review or a kind email from a reader can really pick you up.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

A huge thank you for their support. I don't expect everyone to like my books; after all, we all have different tastes. But I would ask that if you read a book by any author and you enjoy it, please leave a rating or a review for them - it really does help to get a book noticed.


Where can people connect with you?

My social media links are:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview