Kyrie Wang interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m a small-town physician and mom who writes historical fiction on the side. I also love to draw my own characters and compose music for my books… when I have time! When I’m too tired to write, I play guitar or piano.  Forbidden Ties (Enemy’s Keeper Series Book 1) is my first venture into serious publishing.


When did your love of books begin?

For as long as I remember, I loved books. I read all the Roald Dahl books I could get my hands on and started writing my own novels when I was eight years old. It’s kind of embarrassing to read those works now (full of impossible flying wagons and runaway kids!) but those pages of childish pencil writing warm my heart. I know my childhood self would be thrilled to know I’m a published author now.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Around my teens, when self-publishing became more accessible. My first ISBN registered book was Seeker, the prequel to the Enemy’s Keeper series. I designed the cover myself and gave the funds raised to Starlight Children Foundation (who also kindly printed my books for me!)

 

I am currently rewriting Seeker for republication.  


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Like building a ship and sailing it too. Lots of leaks, discouraging storms and getting lost. Marketing is hard. People don’t even take free books nowadays with social media and other distractions. But I feel like my stories are just screaming to be told, and so I press on. Many friends have also expressed precious encouragement to help me keep going. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Love your writing first.  Share your story but know your worth is not based on what people say about it. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The Enemy’s Keeper series follows an otherwise unremarkable English peasant, Heather, who becomes torn between two sides of a rebellion as embodied by two young men, Matthew and Toby. The setting is 1075AD England, during the last serious revolt against William the Conqueror’s rule in England. Matthew is a Norman squire loyal to the king, while Toby is an English rebel. As the story progresses, Heather must side with one of the two men and, therefore, one side of the rebellion.

 

There are several slow-burn clean romances intertwined with adventure and suspense- my favorite kind of story! While the target audience is young adult, many older readers have enjoyed beta reading my book.

 

The Enemy Keeper series came as a need to process the suffering I saw in my patients and their families during my medical training. As a pathology resident, I witnessed nearly a hundred forensic autopsies. This grueling experience was my

strongest drive to write. I saw bodies from suicides, infanticides, stabbings, fires, drownings, car accidents, and more. I saw the outcomes of incredible evil and tragedy. Over and over, I wished for a different ending for these victims, for someone or something to have stopped the final, fatal event. I also learned, through the reports of police, that often the perpetrators of such atrocities were not simply born depraved and thoughtless. There was often a backstory- of mental illness, betrayal, abuse, and heartbreak.

 

I removed my angst from the 21st century and moved it back to a setting nearly 1,000 years ago. It was far enough not to trigger my tears from my forensics rotations, and still close enough for my characters to be relatable. Homicide and death were commonplace during times of great upheavals, such as following the Norman conquest of England. How did people back then cope? Through my characters, I could explore what may have driven ordinary people into acts of the unthinkable. I could fantasize about alternative endings to disastrous events. Someone did step in. Children were saved. My lead characters, all orphans or outcasts, discovered the heroes in themselves.

 

And most of all, my characters held onto hope in humanity despite the pain they witnessed and experienced. This is the hope I also hold on to, especially given what is happening in the world.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I have found other writers on Twitter and Reddit who selflessly share their joys, pains, and top tips for getting our writing discovered. It’s great to know I’m not alone!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

One theme of my book is that good and evil are not always so clear-cut. In a world of increasing division, understanding the “enemy’s” motivation is still key in conflict resolution. Discussions in person must not replace endless social media comments. 


Where can people connect with you?

Check out my website for my original art and music!  KyrieWang.com

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/AuthorKyrieW

GoodReads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/22310681.Kyrie_Wang

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorkyriew/


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview