Karen Honnor interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW

A little introduction:

I am many things - a wife, mother, retired primary school teacher, poet, author and script writer. I go on long walks in Surrey with our furry cockapoo called Gizmo. I have run a local drama group since 2005 and love the friendships that have blossomed there through the shared connection of performance. I bake, when I can fit it in around writing and family commitments and I am working on my lifelong ambition to have a turreted writing room by the sea. 



When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved stories, dressing up to play characters from their pages, in my childhood games with my brother. Beyond childhood favourites though, I think my love of literature was ignited further by a fantastic English teacher at my secondary school. She brought the texts of distant times and places to life for me, in our South London rundown classroom and invited me into the magical world of books.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

From a young age, I wrote poetry. I wrote it in a way that people might keep a journal. Over the years, I realised that I wanted to do more than that. Throughout my teaching years, I would tell people that I'd like to win the lottery so that I could spend my days writing poems and stories. Five years ago, circumstances led to me leaving the classroom and making the decision to focus fully on my writing, wherever that might take me.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Start with writing whatever it is that you want to say. Get that inner monologue out and onto the pages of a notebook, pour it into your laptop, and go from there. I started with a blog, with no particular direction in mind, and I let the writing lead me. If you end up with a book after that, then the real hard work begins, but there are lots of people out there willing to advise so don't be afraid to ask for help.


Tell us about your book/books:

I currently have 5 books, which include a memoir, a novella and three poetry collections:
Finding My Way is an honest and thought-provoking memoir, a no holds barred look at modern life. I have shared this book and the story of how I came to write at author events at Paramount UK and a local WI group. Both events sparked much discussion about changing the narrative around midlife women. I have been humbled by the number of readers who have recognised a little of themselves in the book and thanked me for writing it. 
Unravelling - an emotional tale depicting dementia's encroaching hold on family life and the strength in love that holds them together. This is perhaps the book that I am most proud of. Drawing upon my experiences losing my father to dementia in 2012, it was a poignant piece to write. The story is fictional, but of course, the characters and scenes have nods to real life and real people and maybe that's why it works. Here's a little flavour of it:
'Born in 1939, Doris never really knew her father. Circumstances meant that she took on much of the parent role for her younger sister, Lillian, as they grew up in the East End of London. Life may have been hard but they had each other, at least that's what Doris thought.Jump forward to her later life and she is no longer able to make sense of her everyday world. Doris looks for connections to the past as reassurance and seeks to hold onto her memories, as she battles dementia. Though she no longer knows the name of her granddaughter, the girl who draws sits by her side and listens to the memories, piecing together a life of love and strength and acceptance. This poignant tale tells of family and friendships built over several decades. As Doris recalls the different snapshots in time, they serve to reveal the personality she is losing to dementia, snapshots which come together at the end to leave a lasting impression.'
Diary of a Dizzy Peri - my first poetry collection, earnt this review "If you're a woman of a certain age or live with one, READ THIS!" Written mostly during the first months of the pandemic lockdown, this book allowed me to give my poems their own space and I haven't looked back since.
Click & Connect - A Collection of Hope - if you're looking for something uplifting, then this little book of hope and connection is for you. I'm proud to have gained this reader's review: "Poetry at its best."
Polaroids & Petals - my latest book. This nostalgic collection of accessible poetry takes a look at all our 'Polaroid moments' and how we hold them in our hearts.
Currently I am working on a further poetry collection which I aim to complete over the summer.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community, especially those on Twitter, have become my support network. I have been lucky, because the nature of social media exposure is that half the people like you and half the people don't. I guess I feel there's merit in that expression; 'find your tribe.' Book people, generally, have been a good tribe to belong to, whether that be the writing or the reading community. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would like to thank them for their support, especially the times when they have felt connected enough with my work to reach out and tell me so. When I started my blog posts back in 2018, I thought many of my experiences were unique to me. By writing about them, I have helped others to feel seen and to start a dialogue. My small steps in posting a few blogs, led on to me writing so much more. Five books later, I'm still connecting with readers and that is a wonderful thing.


Where can people connect with you?

I also run a Facebook group where I post regularly https://www.facebook.com/groups/333928370484943
as well as finding me on twitter or instagram



Comments

  1. Great interview, Karen. Very interesting and informative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview