Gillian Poucher interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I’ve loved books for as long as I can remember.  When I was small, my parents owned a newsagents, and I would save up my pocket money (5p/week in those days!) to buy books from the shop.  I still remember the thrill of buying my first book aged 5.  That was  ‘Secret Seven Adventure’ by Enid Blyton.  


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Growing up in the 70s, I had two ambitions: to work as a waitress in the ‘Little Chef’ and becoming a writer.  I loved writing stories at school and home.  (I never achieved the first ambition!)


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It was during maternity leave in 2011 that I decided the time had come to pursue my long-cherished ambition to become an author.  I began with a creative writing course, and it was during this that the idea for my debut novel ‘After The Funeral’ came to me.  I gave up the course to concentrate on the novel, but it took 3-4 years to write, as I was juggling work and childcare alongside writing.  I was pretty clueless about the submissions process, but determined not to give up when the inevitable rejections started arriving.  

What I hadn’t been prepared for was the amount of marketing needed after publication by RedDoor Press in 2019, but fortunately I found that I really loved meeting people and chatting about  ‘After The Funeral’ at book events in libraries and bookshops prior to Covid.  Now I’m focussing on getting to grips with social media, and enjoying the opportunities for networking as a reader and writer.       


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Persevere, don’t give up, and believe in your writing.  Research publishing options, get involved with the book community, and accept that marketing is crucial to being an author today.  And of course, read, read and read!  


Tell us about your book/books:

‘After The Funeral’ is a family drama revolving around three generations of women.  Julia Butler finds her life unravelling when a stranger at her mother’s funeral hints at a disturbing family secret.  Along with her partner’s infidelity and the prospect of a childless future, she’s near breaking point. 

But the discovery of her mother’s diary reveals how a war-time love affair had a devastating impact on three generations of women, and gives Julia the strength she needs to make peace with those around her, and with the ghosts from her past.

After the Funeral is partly inspired by Lincolnshire’s history as ‘Bomber County’ and is set in and around Lincoln and Walsingham in Norfolk.


My second novel, ‘A Question of Loyalty’ is due to be published in early autum 2022 by Onwards and Upwards Publishers.  This is a sequel to ‘After The Funeral.’  When Julia offers her newly-discovered niece and baby a home, she has no idea of the chaos it will cause.  Immersed in her domestic difficulties, Julia doesn’t realise that her brother is sinking into despair and that her partner has his own problems.  Disturbed by a new counselling client and struggling with the demands of those around her, Julia finds herself forming an unexpected friendship with a homeless man, Derek.  Derek’s help will be needed when the safety of Julia’s family is threatened.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love connecting with so many writers and readers who share my passion.  It’s wonderful to be part of such a supportive and enthusiastic community.  


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I hope you love my books, and if you do, please review them on Goodreads and social media and tell your family and friends (or better still, buy a copy for them!).  


Where can people connect with you?

Web-site: gillianpoucherauthor.co.uk

Twitter @GillianPoucher      Facebook @GillianPoucherAuthor

Instagram  gillianpoucher_author


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview