Frances Quinn interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’m Frances Quinn, and I’m the author of two historical novels, The Smallest Man, published Jan 2021, and That Bonesetter Woman, published July 21 2022. When I’m not writing fiction, I’m a journalist and copywriter, and I live in Brighton with my husband and three Tonkinese cats.


When did your love of books begin?

Very early. Both my mum and dad left school at 15, but despite not getting much of an education, they were keen readers and good with words. My mum read to me when I was very small, and taught me to read before I even started school. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t love books and, especially, stories. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was about seven, I wrote a story called The Adventures of Squirrel Nutkin, about a squirrel with a girlfriend called Susie and a liking for pork chops. My teacher told my mum that one day I could write books good enough to be published, and I think the dream started there. But I took a very long time doing anything about it – I was 57 when my first novel was published!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I was very lucky – I did a course at the Curtis Brown Creative writing school, at the end of which we got to show our work to the Curtis Brown agents, and I was taken on by my agent shortly afterwards, before I’d even finished the book. If I hadn’t, I don’t know if I would have finished it – The Smallest Man was a really difficult book to write, because it’s set around actual historical events, and there were a lot of times when I thought I just couldn’t make it work. But because I already had an agent, there was a massive incentive to keep going. It took me four years, and seven drafts, but then finally the day came when my editor sold it to a publisher – and that was the dream come true.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Be prepared for it to be hard work, because it is. But don’t think that finding it difficult means you’re not good at it – in my experience, often the opposite is true. 


Tell us about your book/books:

The Smallest Man is inspired by a real historical character, who was sold by his family to become a ‘court dwarf’ – a kind of human pet – for Queen Henrietta Maria, wife of Charles 1, the king who was executed at the end of the English Civil War, in the 17th century. It sounds like a sad story but actually it isn’t at all – people are always telling me that reading it cheered them up.

My second book, That Bonesetter Woman, is set in Georgian England in the mid 18th century. It’s the story of Endurance Proudfoot, a girl who wants to become a bonesetter, which was considered a man’s job. But Endurance isn’t like other girls, and she’s prepared to go her own way, whether the men like it or not.

With both of them, I’ve aimed to write historical fiction that’s not too bogged down with history, and that’s a bit more fun than historical novels sometimes are.  I’ve had quite a lot of people say they don’t normally like historical fiction but they enjoyed these, which is lovely to hear.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The writing community is incredibly supportive – we’re always promoting each other’s books on social media, or helping each other out with advice. Getting to know other writers has been one of the best things about becoming an author. And the reading community is incredible – I had no idea there were so many people out there who really, really love books. At least once a week, someone will post on Twitter that they’ve read my book and enjoyed it, and that is just the best feeling in the world.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

First, thank you – it really means a lot that people have gone to the bother of buying and reading the words that have come out of my head. And second, people sometimes tell me they’d like to contact an author on social media to say they’ve enjoyed their book, but they don’t know if they should. Do! You might just catch that author when they’re struggling with their next book, and your comment could give them the boost they need to keep going.


Where can people connect with you?

I’m @franquinn on Twitter, @franquinn21 on Instagram and Author Frances Quinn on Facebook


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview