Cathy J. Hopkins interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

My love for books started when I was a young adult and right away, I was drawn to fiction. I love the twists, surprises, and action of mystery/thriller stories. The love of these stories was the foundation of my dreams to publish a novel in the same genre. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I thought about writing a book over the years but being a single mom, I was too busy. When my daughter was in her twenties, I thought to myself it was time the right. However, I did not know what to write. 

The inspiration for this novel came to me in my dreams. I could not stop the dreams, so when I was at the doctors, for a checkup, I talked to him about it. He suggested that I put it on paper since my subconscious had a story to be told. That night I opened my computer to a blank page in Word and started to write the story. One word at a time, one page at a time I realized that it would develop into a book.  I It took me about five years to finish since life got in the way.  

During that time, my mom was diagnosed, with breast cancer. I am happy to say she beat it and still alive today. My dad went through some health issue such as heart surgery and radiation for thyroid cancer. He is also healthy and alive today. However, there was some wonderful news I married my best friend and had a wonderful honeymoon in New York City. 


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Go for it! Start writing one word at a time and let the story take you on an adventure. Your first draft is just getting the story on paper then you can edit it. Be realistic with a timeline on when you want to finish your book, especially if you work during the day. You never know when life will get in the way of your writing. 

Also, keep a notebook or your phone with you, so when inspiration strikes you can write it down. There have been times that I have woken up in the night with ideals for my story and I right then down before I forget them. 

Just enjoy the process of writing a book.


Tell us about your book/books:

I just released my debut book a mystery novel, The Letters Of A Stranger, on Amazon in November 2021.  

About the book:

Rebecca was only a little girl when her parents died in a tragic car accident. Leaving Rebecca and her two siblings to live with extended family. Despite the tragedy in her younger life, adversity, continued to follow. 

As Rebecca’s life unfolds, she begins to receive threatening letters from a stranger who wants to control her actions. Rebecca realizes the only solution for the safety of her family is to run away. She finds herself homeless, jobless, and alone. 

Who is the stranger? What does the stranger want with Rebecca? Will she figure it out before it is too late? 

This book is the first part of a trilogy. I am currently working on the second part that continues the journey, which I am hoping to be available in the fall of 2022. My goal is to have the third part completed by fall of 2023 or winter of 2024. 



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support I receive from everyone. It is like having a second family and I look forward to interacting with them each day. We all want each other to succeed and when someone announces a book sale everyone is happy for them. If you have a question, there are some many people there to give you advise.  


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would like to thank each one of them for purchasing my book. I truly appreciate their support and I hope they enjoyed the book. I would appreciate it if they would go to Amazon and do a review on the book. 

Also, if they would go to my website to join my readers list by signing up with their email on the home page. When my second book is about to be available for sale, I will email them. 


Where can people connect with you?

Website: cathyjhopkins.com 

Twitter: @Cathyjhopkins 

Amazon: The Letters of a Stranger 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview