Book review - Me And The Monkey (Chronicles of The Monkey God Book 1) by Andy Darby

Book - Me And The Monkey (Chronicles of The Monkey God Book 1)

Author - Andy Darby

Rating -



Review:

Imagine you are one day given a monkey that talks, walks around with a cigar hanging out of his mouth and is most of the time drinking too...welcome to the weird world inside the head of author Andy Darby.

This book is written in a daily entry style so reads like a diary or blog but this does not make for your ordinary diary you'd find in your the drawer of that one you had your eye on...The Monkey is that antagonist that is very much the beast many have inside of them that they wish they could unleash and this diary/daily blog post tells of his issues with the dog next door, his trying to purchase a JCB, his love of films, a bit too much of a love of his bear and much more.

I went into this book completely blind to what to expect and at first it took some getting used to as daily entry style writing is so unusual and wide of what "main stream" expects but after getting my head around that I settled in to a story that drew me in and then spat me out.  Full of twists, turns, full loops and more this is a book which is absolutely crazy but thankfully it still works perfectly.

Should you read it?  If you go to the Amazon page and simply read a little bit of the book information you'll realise what is meant - 

20 November
Went in to wake up The Monkey this morning and found his teddy bear tied to the bed with black electrical tape and looking very much the worse for wear. The Monkey was still fast asleep with a very satisfied smile on his face. I knew it was a bad idea to let him download 50 Shades of Grey onto his iPad. Cultural references he said… Just wanted to see what all of the fuss was about he said… My arse!

Me and The Monkey went to see Skyfall, the local cinema is running a load of Bond films over the next week. Nearly kicked off when the girl offered him Chunky Monkey ice cream – he doesn’t like stereotypes (when it suits him…). Rescued it with Phish Food and a large box of butter popcorn but he kept giving the girl evils all the way to the screen…

23 November
There seems to be bad blood between The Monkey and next door’s dog. I asked The Monkey what the problem was and he muttered something about being double crossed on a coke deal, and then told me to, ‘Mind my own business, bitch.’ Well at least he’s not flinging shit about…

24 November
The Monkey has been on my eBay account and bid for a JCB. I really hope the bid doesn’t win…

I’m sure The Monkey has been watching Geordie Shore… I heard drunken shouts of whey-aye coming from the living room but when I opened the door, he was watching Family Guy. Although he did have a guilty look on his face and the remote control was covered in monkey spit…

25 November
So, got to the bottom of the Geordie Shore thing. Apparently, The Monkey thought someone had shaved a bunch of Bonobo chimps and made a documentary about them. He couldn’t watch it with me in the room because it embarrassed him so much (I think this may be a first for him). Since discovering that they are human he says he has gained new levels of contempt for our species…


Overall, this is a book I highly recommend and think is something which stands proudly as being different from others books out there but genuinely doesn't care as it doesn't see itself as a book...it is simply an alternate truth.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview