Amanda Sterczyk interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I am an author, ACSM certified personal trainer, certified Essentrics® instructor, and creator of The Move More Institute™, an initiative to promote healthy active living by adding more movement/activity/motion to individuals' daily lives. I spent more than 10 years running my own business, Amanda Sterczyk Fitness, working as a mobile personal trainer and group fitness instructor. I have worked with men, women and children of all ages, as well as elite athletes. My background is in social psychology and health promotion research. 

My slogan is: Move more, feel better. The goal of my fitness business was to make fitness and physical activity more accessible to people. Not everyone wants to workout in a gym, nor do they have the means to do so. This desire extended to my books, especially my exercises guides.

In early 2020, I shut down my mobile fitness business to return to an office job (I now work full-time as a Research and Policy Manager with Diabetes Canada). But I continue to write and publish books, and advocate for the importance of daily physical activity to maintain optimal health.


When did your love of books begin?

As soon as I could read! I’ve always loved books. As a child, my favourite day was the third Friday of the month, because that’s when the Bookmobile (our public library’s answer to neighbourhoods lacking a local branch) arrived in our neighbourhood. I would leave with armfuls of books to get me through the month.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

In grade 5, we were assigned a project to create a personal coat of arms. In the quadrant for “future self,” I drew a book cover with my name in the by-line. That was a long time ago (early 1980s), and I didn’t actually publish my first book until 2018.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I had already been writing blog posts for a few years when I decided to write my first book. And my background is in health promotion research, which requires lots of research and writing/publishing. All in all, I love the writing process. Because I decided to self-publish, there was a lot more work to find and hire a great editorial team, not to mention learning the publishing process. My second book was scouted by a traditional publisher, but I declined their offer. I would have had to give up too much creative freedom and royalty income if I had switched to traditional publishing.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Keep reading and writing! Everyone has a unique story/point of view, only you can write what’s in your head. There are pros and cons to self-publishing and traditional publishing. You have to decide which path works best for you.


Tell us about your book/books:

I have published 10 books (nine non-fiction & one novel), including two fitness self-help guides and six exercise guides. My fitness self-help books are geared to helping people add more non-exercise activity to their daily lives, to improve their health and reduce the negative effects of our increasingly sedentary lives. My exercise guides are designed to make fitness more accessible to people who can’t or won’t go to the gym. My belief is that fitness doesn’t need to be costly, complicated, or even sweaty. I have written four exercise guides for seniors and adults wanting to work on their balance and prevent falls, one for office workers who want a sweat-free/equipment-free workout, and one for people recovering from COVID-19 or any other illness.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There is a genuine respect and camaraderie. Fellow writers celebrate your wins alongside their own.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for putting your trust in me.


Where can people connect with you?


Comments

  1. This blog is very helpful and informative for this particular topic. I appreciate your effort that has been taken to write this blog for us.

    Mobile Training Jacksonville
    Boot Camp Training Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview