Yong Takahashi interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

We didn't have English as a Second Language classes when I went to school. Everyone who needed help went to Special Education. After six months, I moved into first grade. My teacher gave me The Wind in the Willows and I have loved reading ever since.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I've been writing since I was a child but chose the corporate path. When I turned 39, I began to feel unhappy with my decision. I took some writing courses and forged ahead. It took about a year and a half to get a short story accepted at a literary journal. Last year, I published 19 poems and short stories. Overall, I've published over 60 short pieces and three books.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It was harder than I thought it would be but has been rewarding. I didn't know half my time would be marketing but I've taken a lot of classes learning about the subject.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Just write. Don't listen to critics. No one knows about your subject better than you do.


Tell us about your book/books:

Rising is a poetry collection. It reveals flashes of life’s most intimate moments filled with love, hope, remorse, longing, and anguish. We root for the one who reaches for happiness but is not yet able to grasp it. We wince for the one who picks at festering wounds that never quite heal. We are breathless as we run alongside those who chase after a thirst that can never be quenched.


Observations Through Yellow Glasses is a memoir written through poetry.
Yong Takahashi moved to The United States with her parents when she was three years old. She grew up in a traditional household where her Korean and American worlds pulled her in opposite directions. Shortlisted for The Sexton Prize for Poetry, OBSERVATIONS THROUGH YELLOW GLASSES invites you to follow her journey as she learns life’s bitter lessons, longs for love, and attempts to heal the wounds she collects along the way.


The Escape to Candyland is a short story collection.
WHAT IS THE MESSAGE HIDDEN BEHIND A POLITE SMILE?

In Yong Takahashi’s Atlanta, the immigrants, preacher’s wives, strippers, and shopkeepers who pass each other on the street all have a secret story to tell. Caught between generations of family, regrets from their pasts, conflicting cultures, and even countries, each character has a reason to fiercely guard their secret lives, even as they learn that the truth must escape. Takahashi’s characters chase their American dreams down back alleys and campaign trails, stumbling under the weight of the gifts their families have given them. A box of Boraxo hand soap. Change for the vending machine. A stranger’s driver’s license. A mother’s love. The smallest exchange could prove kill or cure when you walk the streets of Candyland.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Everyone has been supportive, sharing my work with their followers. So far, I've sold all my books through word of mouth.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I try to give my all, whether it's through song, poetry, or prose.


Where can people connect with you?

To view my books and social media links:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview