Ty Carlson interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I remember reading a little 10-page book about Santa’s cookies when I was three. I learned the word “special” in that book, and that’s the first thing I remember reading. From that point, my love of reading moved to all kinds of works, including the dictionary. My mom still loves to tell the story of catching me with the big red cloth-bound Merriam-Webster when I was fiver or six.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I wrote a short story about my family when I was eight. It’s still in my memory box upstairs and I knew then that I wanted to see my books on other people’s shelves. I even sent R.L. Stine an idea for a book called “There’s Something Out There” with a cover drawing included! I started a large fantasy story when I was in seventh grade and that’s when I actually became serious about writing, spending any allowance and job money I’d saved on a cheap laptop for writing.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

At first I had stars in my eyes and hoped I’d be the exception to the rule. What I found was much more realistic. I love writing, but as an “ideas person,” I’ll begin a book and then realize that I haven’t even described the character or the room they’re in. Details have always been difficult for me to remember, but that’s what editing is for. The query process is brutal, but I was lucky enough to find a publisher during a pitch event on Twitter. It’s difficult sending a very vulnerable part of yourself to strangers and essentially asking if they think it’s good. Hopefully that process changes with the times, because I do feel like the query process is a little outdated.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Start writing as soon as you can. Don’t worry about whether or not it’s “good,” but start writing. It’s not an easy process, but it requires patience with your story and patience with yourself. Some nights I don’t want to write and I write anyway, it may not be good. Some nights I don’t want to write and I don’t. I’ve found that forcing the story usually results in frustration and poor writing. But at least I wrote something, and I can always go back and edit it.


Tell us about your book/books:

The first book in my “Dadirri Saga” is called THE BENCH and it can be ordered by any major retailer. The audiobook will be out later this year. It’s the story about a man who lost his wife in a devastating tsunami. Everyone is equipped with a chip that records every second of their lives, including emotions and memories. Through this technological marvel, he’s able to speak to what amounts to a hologram of her. Through the course of the conversation and the memories he experiences, we realize that their memories don’t match up, and they have to figure out why. My next book, THE GLADE is a short story that builds the world a bit more from a different perspective. It will release later this year and my third will release early 2023. All of the stories in The Dadirri Saga take place int he same universe but at different times and from different perspectives.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

The online writing community is incredibly encouraging. I’ve seen them rally around one another and celebrate the wins and mourn the losses. I’ve met some very good friends online and actually met with some in real life because of it! There are a lot of communities out there, but there is something special about a community of artists that can encourage the success of each other while striving for their own.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

No you can’t be a character in my next book. That’s a joke. Honestly I’d say that it’s probably to just keep reading, keep buying books. They don’t have to be mine, but find an author you like and read their stuff, then find another author and so on. I love writing, I love hearing your thoughts, and I want you to tell me about the experience my book brought you.


Where can people connect with you?

My tag on social media is a callback to the pen name that I made up in seventh grade, so you’ll have to forgive me that small bit of nostalgia. You can find me on Twitter at @tcrivers, or Instagram @tcrivers85, and on Facebook my author page is Ty Carlson Author.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview