Tony Debajo interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Tony Debajo and I’m a Civil Engineer by profession and an author. My debut novel called In The Shadow of Ruin was published in March 2021, which is the first book in a planned series called The Fractured Kingdom.


When did your love of books begin?

My love for books started early, probably around the age of 10 years old. I started off reading comic books, which naturally transitioned into short stories and novels. The thought of getting immersed in a story or different world had always appealed to me, and reading gave me that opportunity.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve wanted to write for as long as I can remember but never really considered it until a few years ago. The inspiration came from a book I read, which had a similar story to one I had always planned to write one day. Once I finished reading it, I decided to put pen to paper and start developing my own story.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I found it quite difficult in the early stages. Writing and developing a story was particularly hard, and many times I wanted to give up, but I eventually found the determination to persist and finish the work I started. What came afterwards was also quite challenging, first the querying process and then deciding to self-publish, which comes with its own set of hurdles. Now that I’ve come through the other side, I can admit that the struggle and the sense of fulfilment come in equal measures.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

My best piece of advice would be to stick to the plan. Once you’ve decided to become an author there will be many obstacles. The key things to remember are persistence and patience. Also, research your chosen genre, read up on other authors and learn from their mistakes and successes. Use that knowledge to develop your brand and your platform.


Tell us about your book/books:

My book is an adult fiction, action/ adventure novel set in ancient Africa. It tells the tale of a king that seeks to preserve his kingdom from his half-brother, who was banished years ago and has now come back to claim the throne for himself. The story is told from multiple POVs and covers a vast, emotionally charged landscape filled with mystery and the influence of the capricious gods that walk the earth.

It explores African culture, traditions, and superstitions, with elements of black magic and witchcraft with themes of love, betrayal, suspense, political intrigue and murder. Epic battles are fought, and the fate of the entire kingdom hangs in the balance. Who will prevail?


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the support that I’ve received from fellow authors and creatives and the openness of countless individuals that I have come across. The emphasis is the word ‘community’, as it truly feels like one.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would say that the main reason I’ve decided to write my book/ series is that most of the mainstream stories tend to be European based and there aren’t a lot of stories that depict people of colour. I’ve tried to create something completely different from the norm and show that some of the untold stories from places like Africa are just as intriguing and captivating. I’ve tried to bring to life African stories and folklore that would have typically been told around fires and passed down through generations, embellished as they are, but still hold great value and capture the essence of the people.

I would also say to be brave enough to explore a new world and not be put off by the unfamiliar terms or locations but to embrace them as this book may surprise you.


Where can people connect with you?

You can visit my website – https://www.de-bajo.com/books

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/de_bajo_author

Twitter - https://twitter.com/tdebajo?s=08

Facebook - @DebajoBooks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview