Tom McCaffrey interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


When did your love of books begin?

I grew up in a boistrous, aggressive and eccentric Irish family who were masters of the oral tradition (blarney) and every meal was entertaining as the multi-generations shared their stories with the family around each dinner table.   
I began appreciating the concept of a written narrative by reading simple cartoons as a very young child.  First in newspapers and then in bound collections. I think that is why I am very visual in my writing style.  That expanded into delving into short story collections that my parents kept around the house, and then serial collections like The Hardy Boys and then my sister's collection of Nancy Drew novels.  I found that I loved depictions of characters and family as presented in stories, and often compared them to my own experiences.
Once I hit school age, I read whatever the nuns put in front of me, and anything else I could grab from my family's collection of books or the local public library.  The rest, as they say . . . . 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

When I was in my late teens, a friend of mine (a central member of the tight crew I socialized with), died in a car accident.  Another close friend then passed when he fell off a 21 story building.  Those deaths occured within a six month period.  Their passing lead me to write a poem for the first friend and a short story for the second.  Didn't know if I could do either but both works were well received and with a little encouragement from my friends, I decided that I might like to make a go of writing. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Well, fast forward many decades, during which I got married, raised kids and surpressed or channeled my creative side making a living as an attorney.  But I have to say, once I again took up a pen in 2019, the process has been fast and furious, as hopefull my third novel, Kissing My Ass Goodbye, which drops next month (3/24/22), will join its siblings, The Wise Ass and An Alien Appeal as Amazon best sellers.  It rather quite remarkable. 


Tell us about your book/books:

If I was pitching The Claire Trilogy to Hollywood (are you listening out on the West Coast?) it would be Goodfellas, meets Wizard of Oz, meets Mr. Ed, meets My Favorite Martian, meets The Craft. It is a genre-busting story whos central themes are family, sci-fi and magic.  There is lots of dark humor and action.  It begins in the greatest city in the world, works its way into God's country and ends, well I can't give that away.  You'll just have to read it.  


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Writing:  Their desire, energy, passion and support.  And I love to encourage young writers. NEVER, EVER, GIVE UP!!!! 
Reading:  Their responses to the magic spun by the writing community, and their willing to invest their time and money into supporting those writers. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for reading my novels and taking the time to post reviews.  I don't exist without you and have been touched by your reception of my works.  I will never forget that. 


Where can people connect with you?

TheWiseNovelist.com (I blog daily and have a contact button), or through my publisher, Black Rose Writing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview