Shirley Laffa interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

I’ve learned plenty from the school of hard knocks. While trying to become a ballerina, I waited tables, then worked at countless offices to make a living, learning valuable lessons from mistakes along the way. I rely on humour and perseverance to continuing growing and embracing all of life’s teachable moments.


When did your love of books begin?

Like I say in my book, “I never really outgrew children’s books. They’re filled with magic and wonder, and I can usually understand them…” The other genres of books I love are humour, spirituality, and self-help. These books have made a positive impact on my life by getting me through tough times, and oh yeah, explaining why and how we have to endure life’s lessons. I am incredibly grateful to all the authors of these books I’ve relied on throughout my life!


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

For many of us, the pandemic gave us extra time to pursue interests that were on the back burner. I decided to take all my inner narratives that had guided my life and write a humorous self-help book featuring my real-life stories.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It’s very cathartic to be able to express my authentic self through writing. I couldn’t believe how much technology and how to’s are available to help people access the ability to make their voices heard through self-publishing for instance. I was actually surprised at how relatively easy it is to bring your dream of becoming an author to fruition. What I didn’t realize however, is that marketing your book takes a lot of work, ingenuity, and patience! I appreciate the community’s encouragement and support!


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

We all have interesting stories to tell – go for it!


Tell us about your book/books:

But It’s Okay If I Do It: True Confessions of an Unintentional A$$hole is a light-hearted look about gaining valuable insights when coping with a variety of relatable, yet sometimes absurd real-life scenarios.

I honestly don’t mean to be an A$$hole, but hypocritically tell myself it’s okay if I do it, in a pinch. Especially when dealing with mortifying blunders like failing to recognize a celebrity guest at a work event, or getting caught naked by my potential mother-in-law.

As a recovering people pleasing addict who also suffers from chronic foot-in-mouth disease, my underlying insecurities add insult to injury in hilarious, laugh out loud true stories. We all seek approval and can relate to embarrassing ourselves while figuring out how to do better next time.

I navigate failures along with nagging obsessions about weight, relationship and workplace tribulations, through my unique humour and own brand of offbeat self-help. I invite you to hop on for a guilty pleasure ride on my cringe-worthy tour. You’ll be sure to depart feeling lighter, wiser, and more in charge of your own destiny!



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

They’re very helpful and friendly. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the encouragement of the writing/reading community including wonderful vehicles like feedmyreads. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for taking the time to support and read my book. I’m so glad I’m able to hopefully put a smile on your face as you learn what NOT to do from my mistakes.


Where can people connect with you?

https://twitter.com/shirley_laffa

https://medium.com/@shirley.laffa

https://www.amazon.ca/But-Its-Okay-Confessions-Unintentional/dp/1778037917

I’d love to hear from you at: shirley.laffa@rogers.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview