Shelley Caffatos interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Shelley Caffatos. I am the only one on the whole planet, which is kind of cool. I am a mother of three (boy, girl, boy ages 30, 27 and 20). I've been married to the love of my life for almost 21 years, and am currently working full time as well as writing my first manuscript. I love to play D&D in my spare time (When I have any!)


When did your love of books begin?

Oh my goodness...when I was a very little girl. My mother was always reading, she loved it as well. I got my taste in fantasy and sci-fi from her. The first book I remember reading as a little girl was a compliation that came with the set of encyclopedias my parents had. My favourite story from it was The Princess and the Goblin. I fell in love with magic because of that story. I also made the decision that if my hair came in silver rather than white I would never dye my hair to cover it up. (Read the story if you want to know why!)


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

One day, about two years ago, my doctor told me that the pain in my hips and knees was arthritis. Shortly after that I had to leave my work because of the pain. I accidentally double dosed my pain medication and in a fit of drug induced creativity, wrote what became the prologue of my current work in progress. It just kind of kept on going after that.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I haven't really gone through much process yet, having just completed my first draft and am now working on my first round of editing. I am not discouraged by the stories I have been seeing about the difficulties of finding an agent, or the difficulties of finding a publisher. Not yet, anyway.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would tell them that as long as they are writing, they are an author. Whether they become a PUBLISHED author is something completely different. But keep writing, every day, and you'll get where you want to be, regardless of what others may say.


Tell us about your book/books:

My current WIP is a fantasy novel about an innocent group of young people who get thrust into a quest for justice by violence. Dwarf, a Halfling, a Scottish barbarian (Yes, he wears a kilt), an Elven mage and a Human priestess. Their village is decimated by violence and they chase down those responsible to bring them to justice. My main character is the dwarf, and he is unlike any other dwarf put on paper. I don't want to go into it now, but I think you'll all come to love him like I do.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love that since I joined twitter two years ago, I have found everyone in this community to be the most amazingly supportive and helpful group of people I have ever come across. You are absolutely wonderful, all of you!


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would tell them to enjoy the laughter and tears that may come, and to fall in love with my characters as much as I have. Let them teach you why patience is a virtue and why love really does conquer all.


Where can people connect with you?

Currently I have no website, but they can connect with me in my twitter feed at @scaffatos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview