Sandy Butchers interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Well, every introduction becomes better with a word of thanks. So, thank you, Fraser, for hosting me on your blog! My name is Sandy Butchers, award-winning author & illustrator of The Singularian Grimoire Anthologies and co-host of the REDink Writers podcast. I'm of Dutch origin but have come to learn that countries are like images: they all require some creative freedom. Creating worlds is what I do, making these worlds matter to other people is what I dream of. A blog like this may just help make that happen. 


When did your love of books begin?

As a child, I wasn't much into books. It was boring and I could not release my energy in it. Until I was introduced to Philip Pullman's "Dark Materials" when I was about 12. Reading suddenly felt like walking and running around in a world I had to discover, and my mind would go to wicked lengths to imagine the places I could go to. From that moment on, I knew I wanted to create worlds of my own much like Pullman had done in his time. I started writing and managed to get my first manuscript published by a local publisher, branding me the youngest author in the country at the time. There was no stopping me after that.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I think the adventure with my first manuscript was an experiment I wanted to perform. I wanted to see if it was something for me. I guess it was, haha. When the book came out in 2004, I was convinced this was all I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The step to becoming the illustrator of my own work wasn't a big one to take either. I'd always been creative, sketching and scribbling wherever I went. I think it was in 2012 that I first started to experiment with illustrated featurettes in magazines and indie projects.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Oh my... Being an author is hard. And you know what, if it feels anything less than hard, I don't think you're doing it right. To create real worlds, no matter how made up they are, with real people, and real cultures and habits--man, that's already next level. Getting all that done while being of good quality and understandable for anyone who does not share your brain, feels like placing yourself onto the seat of a god, knowing you will never be able to fill those shoes. It's a constant struggle between feeling confident about your work and suffering bad periods of imposter syndrome. You peddle away on days where the tides are high, and you crawl forward whenever the tides hit rock bottom. Like I said: it's hard work, but it's the most amazing job there is. (https://youtu.be/1Zi2BqgG8Wg)


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Do it! Sit down and put those fingers to the keyboard. Move forward and don't look back, no matter what. And when it comes to querying your work: research, research, research. Don't be afraid to ask for advice; being a writer doesn't mean you have to do it alone.


Tell us about your book/books:

Linked to a synthetic body made to look as human as possible, Sovren was the most lethal weapon mankind ever created. The fact that he wasn't human bothered no one. At least, not until his unit formed a hive mind that drove mankind to the edge of extinction.  

Four centuries after the apocalypse, Sovren is the only one left of his kind. Hunted down by what remains of humanity, he finds himself battered and broken in a cave with no memory of what happened the day of the cataclysm. But with an old archenemy rising and leaving his mark on the population through wicked science experiments, Sovren realizes he is suddenly far from the least human creation walking the earth. The world is torn between becoming machines or becoming monsters, and Sovren is at the center of a war where his entire existence may become the key to lasting peace--and the survival of the human race. 

Set to recover his memories before doing anything else, Sovren meets strange and intriguing people along the way. Each of the characters help put the pieces to the puzzle back together; unraveling the secrets that have turned the world into the post-apocalyptic warzone it is today. 

 

The Singularian Grimoire Anthologies are interactive graphic novellas. Each month, a new volume of stories and illustrations will take you through one of the puzzle pieces. It is up to you to connect the dots, put the pieces together and discover the secrets with Sovren and his crew by your side. Available in both e-book and paperback format, subscribing to the books will also unlock exclusive collector's items, behind-the-scenes footage, and much, much more.





What do you love about the writing/reading community?

If there is one community in the world that deserves an award, it would be the writing/reading community. I have never felt so welcomed by so many people. I have never seen so many people work towards a common goal without hate, envy, or toxic behavior. It's a community where writers are readers and vice versa. Everybody understands where others are coming from because they've been there. It's beautiful, and I'm glad I became part of it. I'm always happy to share my knowledge, learn from others, and enjoy other people's works of creativity.



If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I appreciate you... Every. Single. One of you. Writers are nowhere without readers. You are the essential ingredient to the elixir of life, so to speak. Thank you for believing in me and for supporting me in any way you can--be it a like, a follow, or your actual purchase of the books and artwork.



Where can people connect with you?

You can always find me around on Twitter: @SandyButchers
Earlier this week, The Singularian HUB launched with a spectacular trailer of the books, timelapse videos of the artwork, and much more interactive features to keep you company on your journey through the apocalypse. I highly recommend taking a look at https://www.TheSingularian.net if you want to check out what my work is all about.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview