J.J. Adler interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hello, fellow book lovers, my name is J. J. Adler.  I’m a dad of four great kids that span in age from 21 to 10 with a wonderful spouse of 23 years.  I’m originally from the Midwest but I currently call Fort Worth, Texas home where I live a good life that is, in many ways, ordinary.  I have many interests but my passions are cooking/baking, genealogy, reading, and writing.


When did your love of books begin?

The first book I can remember reading as a boy that completely hooked me on reading was The Neverending Story by Michael Ende.  I was probably eleven at the time and was staying the week with my great-grandmother in her small home in the Northwoods of Wisconsin overlooking a small lake (without a television).  I read that book cover to cover that week.  It was magical and I was hooked forever.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I like to say the story came to me, not the other way around.  Although I wasn’t really trying, a story, characters, plot, and an entire world began to form in my mind about ten years ago.  What a gift!  Between now and then, the writing has been almost exclusively in my mind but now, it’s all coming out on the page and it’s incredibly exciting!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I find it to be an intriguing process for a couple reasons.  First, there’s certainly the learning curve with the craft of writing itself.  Getting words on a page that will resonate with and emotionally grip readers is truly art and takes a lot of practice, I think.  Second, however, is the savvy, business side of things, writing toward a target audience, social media presence, traditional vs. indie publishing, etc.  I’ve always had an entrepreneur’s spirit so I’m really enjoying being a student of the “book business” as I’m writing my novel too.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

I would first tell them to try and figure out WHY they want to write.  If it’s for money, great!  That’s one path.  If it’s fame or notoriety, that’s another.  And if it’s just for the sake of writing a story you’re proud of, that’s a noble endeavor as well.  In some rare cases, you may get all three.  In any case, passion is required for a great book so figure that part out first and I think passion will follow.  For me, I just need to get this story that’s been building in my head out and on paper.  There’s no more room in there!


Tell us about your book/books:

I write stories that fall under the epic fantasy genre that take place in a world called Morian.  Morian is a world full of humans, elves, dwarves, dragons, and all other manner of fantastical creatures.  Currently, my debut novel, Touch of the Eternal, which could technically be called book four in a series of four trilogies, follows my main character, Samien, a young man who desires nothing more than to feel wanted and valued, sheds long years of abuse and prejudice to come to the aid a young elf maiden on her unlikely journey to save her people.  Along the way, Samien discovers a wider world and through many trials and dangers, loves and losses, he discovers his true purpose.


What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Wow!  I have to say I’m so pleasantly surprised at the writing/reading community, particularly the online communities.  It seems so rare to have so many people who support and teach each other this amazing craft and it’s such a breath of fresh air.  In all honesty, I’ve found more inspiration and support in the last few months in the writing communities of social media than I have in many years.  It has translated into better and more passionate writing on my part.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

First, I’d say, thank you so much for giving my story a shot!  I truly hope that I was able to do justice to my characters and their stories and that they resonate deeply with you somehow.  I also hope that it’s a fun read and you’re left wanting more!


Where can people connect with you?

Right now, I’m exclusively in the #WritingCommunity on Twitter (@jj_adler) but I have big plans for rolling out other platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and a website for folks to connect with me on this journey.  I’ll announce each new platform on Twitter, so you won’t miss it!  Also, I’m currently writing a short story to submit to the online magazine Twisted Pulp (https://www.screamingeyepress.com/) which will be a prequel story to my novel in progress.  That story should be published in the magazine in March or April so follow me on Twitter so you can check it out when it drops!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview