HR Apostos interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is HR Apostos and I have been writing steadily for nearly ten years. Why? Because I have an overactive imagination. Hey, I had to do something. There is an overabundance of characters stopping by at any given time, new ones seem to pop up at will. It is busy in here. If I had to describe what the inside of my imagination looks like I would have to say it would be like watching a tent full of circus performers: at a rave.


When did your love of books begin?

I have always loved a good story but my love of books began when I was twelve. My family moved and the local branch of the public library was within walking distance. Library trips were always a regular outing when I was a child and my mother is a big reader so when the library became easier to visit we went nearly every week.

The age of twelve was also when I was granted permission to choose any book in the library, I was not limited to the children’s section. It was no longer required that I discuss my choices with a parent or an older sibling before the books were checked out as well. It was also about the time I discovered what my mother meant when she said that a good book was an escape from the outside world. Once I unlocked that door and spent hours immersed inside other worlds...that was all it took. A book lover was born.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

Writing the first book “Furnatche The House Dragon” planted a seed. Furnatche was a story that grew out of a tall tale I had told one of my great nieces. It was work that was fun. The idea of doing work that is fun is something I want to be a part of.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

Writing stories and novels has been phenomenal. The creative aspects have been fantastic. I remember spending a large portion of one weekend researching dragons and creating one. If my university assignments had been like writing fiction, I would have pursued a PhD without thinking twice.

Getting people to look at the work, read the work, and getting my name out there has been challenging. I want to find ways to keep it fun. Until I find a way to put my own stamp on marketing and have fun with it, spreading the word is probably going to remain a struggle.

To answer your question more directly, I have found the process to be a labor of love. Emphasis on the work labor. It is a lot of work.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Becoming an author is like anything else in life, the reality and the dream are two completely different animals.

You are going to have times you seriously wonder what the hell you are doing and why. Some days you will feel like you can’t give your stories away. Like you can’t bribe family members to read your writing.

If you get lots of joy from writing and set your expectation bar low, what you get back may not be fame, fortune, validation, a career, or even a great vacation once in a while.

What you do get is worth so much more than any of those things. You’ve created entire worlds, woven stories, and shared ideas. You’re a storyteller. A person can’t get more amazing than that.


Tell us about your book/books:

Heather Darling and The Case of The Killer Tampon: A soft-boiled mystery, grittier than a cozy but not as dark or bloody as a suspense thriller. Heather Darling is new to the sleuthing business and she stumbles around in the dark a lot. Heather is roommates and BFF s with the hot chick something she always wanted to be. In this first installment, Heather manages to stumble across death, make a few enemies, pick up a very protective and lovable stray, along with a hot homicide detective as well as meet the father she never knew. I know this sounds a lot like a cozy but Heather is too rough around the edges for that. She would be thrown out of any garden club meeting before she ever had a chance to sit down.


Heather Darling and The Case of The Clockwork Cannibal: The second in the series. A darker “will they catch him” mystery. There is a missing uncle as well as a serial killer. Heather’s sleuthing sense says they are connected but convincing the homicide detective she’s right is a challenge all on its own.

Furnatche, The House Dragon: A charming children’s story where a young widow discovers a baby dragon living in her basement and what happens when the children in her life encounter him.

The Ninja-Zombie War: Listen For The Screams: My blog characters Writer Lady, Tinkletoes, Carp, TP...you get the idea...have an adventure at a sci-fi convention when Monitor Man insults a Ninja-Zombie and they are called to come to his rescue. A fun read for anyone who loves a good sci-fi convention.

What do you love about the writing/reading community?

What’s not to love?


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Hello! It’s good to see you. Y’all are awfully quiet. I thought I was alone out here. I hope you are enjoying the stories. Keep reading. Great stories rock!


Where can people connect with you?

You can find me on Twitter: @HRApostos

Blog: hrapostos.blogspot.com (I have been doing this for nine+ years there are lots of short stories waiting to be discovered.

Oh and I have a Facebook (Meta) page. Looks around. It’s hiding here. Some place.

https://www.amazon.com/Heather-Darling-Case-Killer-Tampon-ebook/dp/B06VXJK9H6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ZON7VBAWG30V&keywords=hr+apostos&qid=1645573900&sprefix=hr+apostos%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview