Heather L. Barksdale interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Thanks for having me! I’m Heather L. Barksdale and I am an avid reader, book reviewer, blogger, and author. I have a wide love of genres but am currently most interested in thought provoking thrillers, mysteries, and fantasy/sci-fi. I host a website that features book reviews, author interviews and guest blog posts.   


When did your love of books begin?

My mom’s an elementary school teacher, so she instilled a love for reading in me from an early age. The first book I remember becoming fascinated with was The Giver. The way Lois Lowry built that world with the social and moral dilemmas intertwined within the character development blew my young mind. I lost my enthusiasm for a little while when in graduate school (fatigued from technical reading) but my love was renewed again when a series combining historical fiction and fantasy re-sparked my imagination. 


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

For years, I have had a recurrent dream that I couldn’t shake. I am not one who typically dreams, so this really stood out to me. A trip to Barbados highlighted an aspect of the dream that I took as a sign to tell the story—so I did! This dream series inspired Arriving Through Time – a YA sci-fi/time travel novella.  


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Make sure you want to write for you and then stick with it! Don’t go into writing with the expectation of everyone diving into support for you or your books. Reach out to others in the writing/reading field and ask for help from those who have gone through the process before. Join reading, writing, or publishing groups. Find a couple of experts who can beta read and give you unfiltered advice. Listen to those experts and don’t take offense to their feedback (easier said than done). Find another outlet for writing unrelated to your books like blogging and use it to practice finding your voice. Finally, read many different styles of books and authors- but especially in your chosen genre! 


Tell us about your book/books:

I have self-published Arriving Through Time and am working on writing a sequel to that story. I am currently querying an Adult Urban Fantasy Thriller about serial killer hunters. I also am finishing writing a Fantasy Thriller that combines Freaky Friday and my love for cats.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

There are so many people out there with similar goals and desires. A great majority truly wish for success for those around them and will pitch in to make those dreams come true. 


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you so much for joining me on my adventures! I know there are A TON of books out there and I appreciate you taking your time to support this self-published author. For those enjoying the book reviews or blog posts, thanks for listening to my opinions and ideas!


Where can people connect with you?

https://linktr.ee/heatherlbarksdale


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview