Deborah Stone interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Deborah Stone and I live in London. I am the author of three books: ‘Me and My Shadow’ and ‘What’s Left Unsaid’ and one non-fiction books, ‘The Essential Family Guide to Caring for Older People’.


When did your love of books begin?

From as far back as I can remember, I have been an avid reader. When I was nine years old, my teacher told my parents that I would read English at university. I did - at Durham University. I still read all the time.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I have always wanted to write but work and bringing up two children meant that I started later in life. I feel proud to have published three books since 2018 and love writing. I hope to continue for as long as I have ideas. 


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

It can be difficult. There are moments when you are not sure where a story is going, and it Is easy to doubt your own ability. Getting published is not a simple process. My non-fiction book is published with Bloomsbury, whilst my two novels are self-published. There are pros and cons to each route


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

If you want to write, you must write and do not be discouraged by rejection from agents and publishers. Use beta readers and editors to give you objective, proactive feedback and listen to their comments. Have the courage of your own convictions.


Tell us about your book/books:

‘Me and My Shadow’ is my latest novel. It is a psychological suspense, which considers what happens when the line between truth and lies blurs…

Imagine being flooded with shame, unworthiness, and paranoia. Each day you wake up to a life that feels just beyond the reach of your control. No matter how many attempts you make to move forward, you are met repeatedly with betrayal and rejection from your family - the very people who are supposed to love you the most. This is the reality for Rachel. Since childhood, all she has ever desired is to be loved, to be seen, to be accepted, yet she faces one disappointment after another.

So, what happens when someone is pushed too far and they begin to lose their grip on reality? How would you cope if you felt that no one loved you? And how far would you go to be happy? Accompany Rachel as she tries to shake off the shadows of her past and attempts to repair decades worth of pain.


My first novel, ‘What’s Left Unsaid, deals with family secrets and lies.

Sasha is just about managing to hold her life together. She is raising her teenage son Zac, coping with an absent husband and caring for her ageing, temperamental and alcoholic mother, as well as holding down her own job. But when Zac begins to suspect that he has a secret sibling, Sasha realises that she must relive the events of a devastating night which she has done her best to forget for the past nineteen years.

Sasha’s mother, Annie, is old and finds it difficult to distinguish between past and present and between truth and lies. As Annie sinks deeper back into her past, she revisits the key events in her life which have shaped her emotionally. Through it all, she remains convinced that her dead husband Joe is watching and waiting for her. But there’s one thing she never told him, and as painful as it is for her to admit the truth, Annie is determined to go to Joe with a guilt-free conscience.

As the plot unfurls, traumas are revealed and lies uncovered, revealing long-buried secrets which are at the root of Annie and Sasha’s fractious relationship.

 


My non-fiction book, ‘The Essential Family Guide to Caring for Older People,’ is the UK’s leading manual for families looking after older relatives.

No one wants to think about getting older. It's true. At any age, when things are moving along normally day to day and everyone seems fit and well, there seems no reason to think about future problems that your friends and relatives might (and probably will) come across as they age. In fact, it might even seem a little morbid to think such thoughts, or possibly even tempting fate?

Yet there will come a time when you must raise these issues and, ideally, this should be before any problems arise. The Essential Family Guide to Caring for Older People is the ultimate source of information and help for families with care responsibilities. Deborah Stone draws on her extensive experience working in elder care to offer practical advice on every aspect of the field in-depth.

Topics range from how to get help immediately, legal information, care funding options, a guide to useful technology and advice on the main physical and mental health issues that affect older people. Plus, guidance is given on dealing with social services and ensuring you choose the right care for your situations. Crucially, the book also offers help on how to cope as a carer, with practical advice on juggling family, work and your caring responsibilities while looking after yourself.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I love the enthusiasm generated for both reading and writing, the exchange of ideas and the genuine support that it offers.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

I would thank each and every one of them for choosing to read my books given the plethora of choice available and to encourage them to leave a review on Amazon and Goodreads if they have enjoyed my books. It is so much appreciated and makes such a difference. 


Where can people connect with you?

People can contact me via my website, https://deborahstonebooks.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview