Darren Harris interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

Hi, I’m Darren Harris from Leicester, England. I’m an author of historical fiction. My debut novel, The King’s Son, has recently been published.


When did your love of books begin?

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember. My mum said that she used to read to me as a child but as soon as I was able, I preferred to take the books and read them myself. From about the age of 7 or 8 I spent my pocket money each week on Ladybird books. My favourite books as a child were Susan Cooper’s Dark is Rising series but others that stick in the mind were Stig of the Dump by Clive King and The Machine Gunners by Robert Westall. I also loved Desmond Bagley thrillers.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I’ve dabbled with writing in the past but until now I’ve never tried to get published. I did a degree in History and Media Studies and one of my lecturers was a TV producer called Chris Walker. I wrote a film script and when he graded it he wrote ‘you can clearly write and on this evidence should.’ At the time I wanted to be a teacher so never pursued writing even though I enjoyed it. When I became a teacher I worked for 11 years at a school that was formerly a Victorian mansion house with it’s own estate. I researched the history of the site back to medieval times and made a book for staff, parents and pupils of the school but never got it properly published. In 2012 I began writing a work of historical fiction but then sat on the manuscript for years. In 2021 I finally decided to get it published and the rest, as they say, is history!


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I found the writing part easy. The process of publishing and marketing are much harder. I was rejected by 8 or 9 literary agents before I decided to self-publish. Not knowing enough about the process and not wanting to make any mistakes I hired a company to proof-read, edit, design the cover, format and publish my book. In hindsight this was an expensive mistake. Proof-reading and editing are essential but everything else I could have done myself. The hardest part is marketing and publicising your book. This is something I’m still learning about.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Don’t give in. Get into the habit of writing. We all have different ways of writing. Some like to have a detailed plot laid out in advance. Some, like Stephen King, just write and see where the story takes them. Some write and edit later, some like to edit as they go. It doesn’t matter, as long as the method suits you. What does matter is that you write. Don’t procrastinate, just write! If it’s not perfect (and it won’t be), don’t worry, it can all be tweaked, amended, and edited later. Writing a book may seem like a long and arduous journey but if you only write one page a day you’ll have written a book in a year.


Tell us about your book/books:

There is a parish record for Richard Plantagenet who was buried in December 1550 at St Mary’s Church in Eastwell, Kent, England.  Plantagenet is a royal name so who was he and why is he buried in an insignificant churchyard in rural Kent? Some believe that Richard Plantagenet, or Richard of Eastwell as he is sometimes known, is one of the Princes in the Tower who escaped and survived. Others believe he is the illegitimate son of Richard III. I thought he would make a fascinating character and wrote a novel weaving him into the real events of the reign of Richard III and the early Tudor years. There are plots, intrigue, rebellions and battles. The King’s Son is Richard of Eastwell’s incredible story. You can find it on Amazon UK here: amzn.to/3qUdsYB or Amazon .com here: amzn.to/3sYqJSM



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

I’ve found it to be extremely supportive. Whether that’s through offering advice, offering honest appraisals and reviews, or just words of encouragement, it’s great to know that there’s a whole community out there supporting each other.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for reading my book and for all of your wonderful feedback. It’s heart-warming to know that so many people have enjoyed reading my book and that they want me to write more.


Where can people connect with you?

The best place is on Twitter. I’m @DHarrisAuthor


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview