D. Ike Horst interview 2

AUTHOR INTERVIEW 2


First of all welcome back for another interview with Feed My Reads as our community really do appreciate you taking the time to do this.


So, our first question is who is your writing hero?

I actually have three writing heroes to note. First, Patrick Rothfuss has been my favorite author for a long time now. He isn’t prolific, but he is superb—especially when one considers his ability to incorporate a prosaic narrative into genre fiction. Second, I have to cite Franz Kafka. He has opened the door for many contemporary authors like myself who blend surrealism with psychological realism. Finally, I would mention Frank Herbert. He was a truly great world builder who explored the limitations of characters with omniscient-esc abilities. I have attempted to emulate each of their styles, and while I don’t claim to be on their level, my dream is to blend aspects of their work into my own personal style. 


Which book or books would you say influenced you the most on your writing journey?

I am just going to list them: 

1. Evil Robot Monkey by Mary Robinette Kowal taught me how to write short form. 

2. I learned the function of the em dash by reading Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn. 

3. The entire Dune series by Frank Herbert showed me how to write characters with “story-breaking” powers without actually ruini the narrative. 

4. Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka inspired me to warp literary works into something unique and symbolic; thereby using surrealism to convey deep psychological inspection. 

5. The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss made me warm inside.


If you could choose one book by someone else that you wish you had written then which would it be and why?

I wish I could have written The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I mean, it is my favorite 21st century read—no, actually, it is my favorite read of all time. It has a character driven coming-of-age plot, intricate and magical world building, and a prosaic frame story narrative. Unfortunately, it came out when I was 13, so I never had a good chance to beat Pat to the punch. Ha!


Who have been your biggest supporters during your writing career to date and what would you like to say to them?

My fiancĂ©, Darci, has been very supportive. Her family has also done a great deal for me while I have pursued my dreams. Also, my good friend Erik has been my artistic partner in crime for years now. I would tell them that I acknowledge and am thankful for the contributions and sacrifices they have made that have gone on to bolster my pursuit of writing and bookselling. Obviously, there is still a great deal for me to do and accomplish. I plan to make good on everyone’s investment in me by continuing to write good fiction.


We all know how important reviews are to authors so if you could speak directly to them what would you say about reviewing books they read?

Reviewing books makes a big difference in a writer’s career. As an emerging writer, I count on reviews to spread the word because my name is not a household name in the industry. If a writer isn’t Stephen King, Danielle Steel, or some other top-grossing author, then a series of reviews can make or break the sales of a book. Consider book reviews as the macro version of word-of-mouth sales in the book world. With that in mind, just be honest in the review and with yourself. If the book wasn’t for you, ask yourself if you were the intended audience. If you loved the book, then tell people who you think would enjoy a similar reading experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview