Brad Scott interview

AUTHOR INTERVIEW


A little introduction:

My name is Brad Scott, an author, singer/songwriter and stay-at-home dad living in Atlanta, GA. I'm originally from Wisconsin, but am glad to have moved down here because I've had great experiences here and I have found some great communities of musicians, authors and other artists here. I recently released a singer/songwriter album under my music moniker Zel Ascend titled "Sparkle in the Sun," and now I'm delving back into prose with all my might. Along with my songwriting,  I write sci-fi, fantasy, mystery and horror short stories and novels, as well as poetry and screenplays. My short story "Flower Girl" was published in Devolution Z magazine, September 2016, and my poem "Visceral" was published in Infernal Ink vol. 6 issue 3.


When did your love of books begin?

My love of books began as a young child, first in just reading everything I could get my hands on, from Ranger Rick magazines and Star Wars novels to my mom's stacks of Harlequin's and any books we had on our shelves, including one of my all-time favorites because of the vivid imagery, a tattered copy of All Quiet on the Western Front by Remarque. I even recall spending hours reading through a pile of Encyclopedia Britannica's my mom had picked up at a rummage sale.  Later my love of books evolved as I began finding an escape in the pages, venturing to far away worlds, delving into realms of magic with Tolkien, science gone mad with Shelley, and societies turned upside-down with Orwell.


When did you start to have the wish to become an author?

I started writing stories at a young age, I don't recall exactly when, but I have found some early story starts that I or my mom kept that are full of that vintage cringe.


How have you found the process for becoming an author?

I'm fortunate in that I've found great communities of writers around me here in Atlanta. I became a member of the Atlanta Writers Club and highly recommend it to anyone living in this area or for those elsewhere, find your local group of writers and get involved.


What would you say to those wanting to become an author?

Dive in! You've got a story to tell. Set pen to paper and have it out, wrestle those thoughts out of your gray matter and let them drip onto the page in whatever spatter-pattern they decide to take. You can edit it later. Gems need to be mined before they get polished, polished before they can be set into rings.


Tell us about your book/books:

I'm currently working on two novels, a science fiction fantasy novel called Circuitbender and a fantasy novel called Dragon's Guise.In my novel Circuitbender, Kacy is an apprentice circuitbender, she uses science and engineering to create incredible devices and with these she embarks on a journey to make her father whole again by building for him a robotic arm after he lost his in a factory accident. She winds up battling forces intent on enslaving the world; she's forced to make sacrifices to save those she loves.In Dragon's Guise, a young acid dragon whose mate is killed by a powerful new human weapon uses a magic crystal to transform himself and a group of fellow dragons into human form in order to go undercover amongst mankind and find a way to defeat them once and for all.



What do you love about the writing/reading community?

Surrounding yourself by like-minded individuals has an effect on us, it creates community, it cements your own identity as a writer, it teaches you in so many ways. Secondly, critique groups and early readers are a fantastic resource that should very much be taken advantage of, not only in that they'll give you feedback on your work, but giving feedback on others' work can lead to insights into your own writing and make it better. Study the craft. The writing and reading community are incredible resources to us as writers.


If you could say anything to your readers what would it be?

Thank you for embarking on these journeys with me, whether that be in the stories I'm writing or the songs I'm singing. I'm honored to have those out there who connect with my work in one way or another.


Where can people connect with you?

People can connect with me at the following links:Twitter:  @ZelascendBlog:  scottycreative.wordpress.comPatreon:  https://www.patreon.com/ZelAscendhttps://www.reverbnation.com/zelascendMy music can be streamed at Spotify and Pandora and purchased atAmazon and iTunes.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P2QZ2V7?linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&tag=fndcmpgns-20


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview