Book interview - Moonlight Beach by Yurie Kiri


Please tell us a little about the book

Yurie Kiri’s novel Moonlight Beach won the 2020 Hollywood Book Festival’s award for Genre Fiction.  Moonlight Beach is about four friends who contact the spirit of dead Native American woman and have to fight for their lives against the serial killer who had been chasing her.  The second book in the series, where two of the surviving women of Rancho California take a trip to New Mexico, is called Moonlight Canyon.  The third book, called Moonlight Rocks is about a battle over a meteorite that may herald the birth of a new Messiah.  Besides the Moonlight series, Yurie Kiri has also written a series of books about Japan and virtual reality games; the first book is called Tokyo Games.  All of these books along with a 3 book box set for the Moonlight series are available on Amazon.

Synopsis:  Moonlight Beach near the rich and sleepy town of Rancho California has been the scene of a series of either brutal murders or shark attacks.  One night, two more people are murdered on a cliff overlooking the beach and now organs are missing, organs that could have been used in a transplant operation to save a person’s life.   Was it another random killing, murder for hire or an attempt to extract a much-needed organ?  Would someone really sacrifice a stranger’s life to give a loved one another chance at life?   Rancho California’s leading venture capitalists want to start a company that provides human organs to people in need of transplants; could one of them be responsible?  Then there’s a local group of witches who’ve seen and done a lot of strange things, first hand.  What role do they play?  Victims or perpetrators? 


Where did the inspiration come from for your book?

(From the Author's note) Please don’t think that this strange story about a series of murders, organ donors, witchcraft and sex sprang from my feverish brain all on its own.  I have a good imagination, but it’s not that good.  The truth is, one night a few years back, I was sitting in Bolero’s, a Rancho California, patio-style Mexican Restaurant, nursing a margarita and waiting for an expensive Carne Asada taco plate when two women came in and sat down at a nearby outdoor table.

I don’t usually eavesdrop on other people’s conversations, but it was a slow night at Bolero’s and something about these women grabbed my attention and made me turn my head slightly so that I could hear them better.  I think that the part of the women’s conversation that really made me sit up went something like this, “You were a close friend of hers, weren’t you?  Tell me how she really died.  No one deserved to be killed like what I heard...”

As you can imagine, I took my time with my food and margarita, all the while straining to hear and remember exactly what they said.  Like I often do, I took a few notes on napkins and scraps of paper as discretely as possible.  However, the women decided to move on, before the story was finished, since one of them had promised to meet another friend at Jake’s by the beach.  I sadly watched them go but finished up and paid my bill as quickly as possible then I arranged my notes and filled in some of the blanks with what I could best remember.


How did you find the experience of writing this book?

It's addictive, like a dangerous drug and it lets me create a world where victims of violence can get some justice.


Did you draw any inspiration from any real life people with any of your characters?

Most (if not all) of the characters are derived from real life people, however I know that at least some of them can't recognize themselves... even after reading their parts.  Just proves my theory that no one can see themself as others do...  However, please note my books are works of fiction.  Names, characters, people, places and incidents either are the product of the my imagination or are used fictitiously and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, schools, hospitals, churches, prisons, government facilities, events or locales is entirely coincidental.  


If you could say anything to readers of this  book then what would it be?

Please enjoy!  I hope reading (or listening to the planned audio books) is as much fun as writing.


Are there plans for more from these characters, or is it a stand alone piece?

Moonlight Canyon has a couple of the characters from Moonlight Beach and adds in several new, exciting characters.  I plan on releasing another book based upon what happened after Moonlight Beach along with a follow on to Moonlight Canyon containing some of the characters from Moonlight Rocks (which mentions Moonlight Beach but has mostly new characters).  Later on, I plan to release a book that combines the surviving characters from Moonlight Beach, Moonlight Canyon and Moonlight Rocks... whether or not that is the last of the Moonlight Series, has not yet been determined.

The characters from Tokyo Games are central to the next book in the series called Osaka Games which will be released soon.  There are several other books planned in the Games series, all built around the same main characters some of whom get transformed in interesting ways...


Where can we buy your book?


Please tell us where readers can connect with you and find out about any new book releases too.

My website - www.yuriekiri.com, or twitter - https://twitter.com/yuriekiri


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Claude Bouchard interview