Book interview - Mechaniek: Lost Paradise by JC Compton


Please tell us a little about the book

Mechaniek: Lost Paradise is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi steampunk story set in a world run by mechanics, with a gay love triangle at its center. In a world destroyed by the Great Toxic War, Taliesin is a simple fisherman on the isle of Ethia, living a self-sustainable life. But after meeting and falling in love with the renegade mechanic Merrick from Toweren, he learns that he might be in fact prince Taleand of Toweren, who was kidnapped and brainwashed as a child. Or was he brainwashed into believing he was Taleand? Finding the truth in a world where the elite brainwashes its way into power seems complicated. He and Merrick must find their own truth among the lies.


Where did the inspiration come from for your book?

My inspiration almost always comes from music, a specific song or set of songs. I play a lot of old RPGs, and I was listening to the soundtrack of Xenogears, one of my all time favorite games, and suddenly this world started shaping in my mind. I imagined a romance that began on a salvaged ship during a toxic storm, tropical islands, and then I started writing. There are also small references to anime and movies, for example the hotel scene in which Taliesin gives out Rufus' "invisible money" to the staff, having no idea how much he is giving out, is a small reference to Home Alone 2.


How did you find the experience of writing this book?

I had a lot of fun writing it, creating machines inspired by the medieval world, a mechanics’ school where competition is very harsh but where students try to form friendships as well. I like bold, vivacious characters, so I had fun creating “Death Machine Nex”, the misunderstood genius mechanic who builds multi-purpose machines for which nobody can find a purpose, until they do come in handy to save his friend. Goram, the cautious mechanic, who at first seems devious and calculating but eventually comes around, encouraged by Taliesin to be his genuine self, is also an interesting character. I like showing character transformations, because, like all of us, they are complex individuals.


Did you draw any inspiration from any real life people with any of your characters?

I never use real life people as a basis for my stories, however Taliesin shares my love of cooking in the story. Merrick’s first encounter with the Ethian spices, “the taste of Paradise”, was inspired by my first encounter with Indian cuisine. It was like tasting every color of the rainbow at the same time. There was a life before and after Indian spices for me!


If you could say anything to readers of this  book then what would it be?

It’s an intricate and uplifting story about being genuine in a world that does not value honesty. It also questions the things we take for granted or value in this world, like money, or non-renewable energy sources. It questions whether Towerenians, who rely on electricity and technology to protect them from the toxic storms yet contribute to them by polluting to produce this electricity, and toil all their lives for “invisible money” (credit) that will not even buy them a house, are better off than Taliesin who lives in a hut he built himself and produces his own food and lacks for nothing. And when the characters choose to "play along" the rules of Toweren, they enjoy material wealth but are unhappy. Toweren is a metaphor for prosperity that does not produce happiness.


Are there plans for more from these characters, or is it a stand alone piece?

It was originally a stand alone book, but I have ideas for a sequel.


Please tell us where readers can connect with you and find out about any new book releases too.

The best places to connect with me are Twitter (@JCCompton5) and Instagram (jccomptonauthor). On Instagram I also share excerpts from my books and discuss them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feed My Reads Awards 2022 and your winners are

Book review - An Enemy Like Me by Teri M. Brown

Claude Bouchard interview